Post Unanswered: How to allow INSERT, DELETE to remote connections

Hi Forum!

I am new using ASA (Adaptive Server Anywhere) I need to connect from a client at the IP address A.A.A.A to other server running ASA in the IP address B.B.B.B, actually I can perform only "select" , but I would want also be able to perform basically "delete" "update" "insert", How can I get this? I was looking for some information about "grant" command, but I need more clarity about using it.

Please could someone give any hint about this issue? what steps I need to perform for giving the correct privileges?.

I am running ASA version 6 on HP-UX, and the client is connecting from Solaris (the client is a Perl script). A detail I must to say is I need to perform all tasks via console or command line, since I don´t have none graphic interface. Also I can use dbisql but only text mode.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Ernesto
    efreyre@isp.qnet.com.pe

Re: How to allow INSERT, DELETE to remote connections

Originally posted by efreyre
    Hi Forum!

I am new using ASA (Adaptive Server Anywhere) I need to connect from a client at the IP address A.A.A.A to other server running ASA in the IP address B.B.B.B, actually I can perform only "select" , but I would want also be able to perform basically "delete" "update" "insert", How can I get this? I was looking for some information about "grant" command, but I need more clarity about using it.

Please could someone give any hint about this issue? what steps I need to perform for giving the correct privileges?.

I am running ASA version 6 on HP-UX, and the client is connecting from Solaris (the client is a Perl script). A detail I must to say is I need to perform all tasks via console or command line, since I don´t have none graphic interface. Also I can use dbisql but only text mode.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Ernesto
    efreyre@isp.qnet.com.pe
    My experience with ASA is really only Win NT running TCP/IP. I'm assuming you have created the database and got it running. The database server needs to listen for connections on a port. To do this on on Winnt you specify the -x {tcpiport=2638} option. I'm not 100% on the syntax, but it's something like that.

You now create a DSN on the client that connects to the IP address of the host running the database and port number the database server is listening to.

You can run dbisql in command line mode on Windows NT so I assume it's similar on HP UX

dbisql -c "DSN=Name_of_DSN" <file_name>

where file name contains the SQL statement you want to execute against the database. This also assumes the login name and password is in the DSN.

The grant command should work something like this:

grant insert on table to user_or_group
    grant update on table to user_or_group
    grant delete on table to user_or_group

etc..

Question Thank you

Thank you for your reply, my main question is around how to set de permissions for a remote connection, I wish the remote user can perform "insert" "delete" querys, since , as I indicated, I already get the connection works , but currently only can perform "select".

All I know about my database is :
    exists an archive called pa.db, the uid is "dba", the pwd is "sql"
    this is running at the 10.2.11.19 ip address and the client is at other ip address 10.2.11.21.

Then, please I would want to ask you about when you speak about :

grant insert on table to user_or_group

what value must take user_or_group? the user is the same as uid (dba)? Is needed to provide some information about IP address? I ask this last
    question since I am habituated to work with Mysql and here is needed
    to give permissions to each IP address that want to connect the server for any statement including "select", but in ASA I am surprised because I get connected for "select" statements without to give specific permission to the client for performing it.

Returning to the grant issue, Could I to perform then the command:

grant insert on nr_lease to dba

?

This will allow a remote user called dba can insert in the nr_lease table?

None previous configuration is needed?

Thank you for your patience. You help is very valious for me.

Regards,

Ernesto

Re: Thank you

Originally posted by efreyre

grant insert on nr_lease to dba

Ernesto
    This statement is what you're looking for. The user_or_group must be a user or group within the database and "dba" is one of those.

There is no need to grant access on an IP address basis.

Provided the remote user connecting to the database is a user of the database

grant connect to <user_name> identified by <password>

The grant statement on each table you want to insert, update and delete from should be sufficient.

Richard.

Ok grant works!!

thank you for your help, it is performing that I wanted.

Ernesto