Unanswered: seaching a Database

I am running Simply accounting v9. this software utilizes microsofts ODBC database.

I need to be able to create a custom report, which is specific to "Invoices". I need to be able to display every invoice that has been entered in the system. (ex. 1-23000). The program simply accounting cannot sort by invoice number, rather by journal entry. I need invoice sorting becase it allows for a quick check to make sure you never missed any invoices. I currently have Crystal Reports installed, and have admin priviledges on the database, but I am unable to find a source for any invoices. I can retrieve things like "customers" "dates". If anyone knows of a tool or piece of software that can track database events please let me know. This is really becoming a hassle (having to check each individual invoice to make sure it is there). a list would be that much more productive.

any help will be appreiated. thanks

Re: seaching a Database

What is the database your accounting software uses?

Originally posted by Danny_Champion
    I am running Simply accounting v9. this software utilizes microsofts ODBC database.

I need to be able to create a custom report, which is specific to "Invoices". I need to be able to display every invoice that has been entered in the system. (ex. 1-23000). The program simply accounting cannot sort by invoice number, rather by journal entry. I need invoice sorting becase it allows for a quick check to make sure you never missed any invoices. I currently have Crystal Reports installed, and have admin priviledges on the database, but I am unable to find a source for any invoices. I can retrieve things like "customers" "dates". If anyone knows of a tool or piece of software that can track database events please let me know. This is really becoming a hassle (having to check each individual invoice to make sure it is there). a list would be that much more productive.

any help will be appreiated. thanks

Are you saying you don't know which table invoices are stored? If so, (and you are using a SQL database), SQL Profiler will help you. You can run profiler, have a client create an invoice and view all of the SQL that just occured and which tables were affected.

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

I will try that....thanks alot

do I just download any SQL Profiler? not a crystal reports specific or simply accounting

You will want to at least monitor SQL:batch completed to see what SQL is being thrown at the database.
    There is a lot of info in BOL under SQL Profiler.

HTH
    ---------------

what I really need it to be able to trace where and what tables are being wrote to when I save an invoice.........I can view all talbes of the database but I do not know which ones are being implemented

Definatley use SQL profiler then, monitor the SQL:batch completed and you can see which tables are being inserted into.

GL
    ---------------

what is the sql profiler??

and where is it......crystal report?

Assuming you have SQL installed on your machine, go to start/programs/microsoft sql server/profiler

Here are some pages that will help you: For your case you probably only need to monitor SQL:Batchcompleted but look into these sites first

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;325297 (this is for 7.0 bit very similar to 2000, good overview and its a webcast)

http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netad...9082944,00.htm (Use SQL Profiler to diagnose SQL Server performance issues)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de..._perf_86ib.asp (Monitoring with SQL Profiler)

HTH
    ---------------