Unanswered: Prompt for variable values in a SQL script

I am writing a SQL script and it needs some parameters to be entered by the user. Users will run this script from the SQL Query Analyzer. I trying to see if there is a way the script will prompt the user to enter values for the parameters. This is possible in Oracle. Is there any equivalent in SQL Server?

Thanks in advance for your time

Provided Answers: 1
    No, you can't prompt for variables in the SQL script.

You can create your script as a stored procedure with parameters, or you can define and set your variables at the top of the script so the user can easily modify them (good programming practice anyway!).

That said...
    bad programming practice is letting users run scripts from Query Analyzer! I hope the "users" have knowledge of databases, and I hope their server and database permissions are well defined, or they could inadvertently (or even maliciously) mess things up.

Why not build a simple interface, such as an Access Data Project, that calls the procedure after prompting the User for parameters?

blindman

I realize that it is a bad and dangerous practice to let the users access the database from the query analyzer. We are redesigning the system from the scratch but till then, we have to support the existing system. Prevoius DBA let this hole into the system and we have to live with this till we finish our re-design. I was almost positive what I was looking for is not possible but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks a lot for your time blindman.

Originally posted by blindman
    No, you can't prompt for variables in the SQL script.

You can create your script as a stored procedure with parameters, or you can define and set your variables at the top of the script so the user can easily modify them (good programming practice anyway!).

That said...
    bad programming practice is letting users run scripts from Query Analyzer! I hope the "users" have knowledge of databases, and I hope their server and database permissions are well defined, or they could inadvertently (or even maliciously) mess things up.

Why not build a simple interface, such as an Access Data Project, that calls the procedure after prompting the User for parameters?

blindman