Post Unanswered: Access to DB2 OS/390 V6 via ODBC client?

We have a application client (running on a Solaris OS) wanting to use ODBC to connect to a DB2 OS/390 V6 database.

Having read through the DB2 OS/390 manuals, it appears that it supports ODBC as a client, but not clear as a server for a ODBC client?

IBM leads one to think that you need this product called "DB2 Connect", but doesn't it boil down to using an ODBC driver on the client end to make things work.

One of the system programmers also thinks that we need USS (Unix System Services) installed on the mainframe but I have not come across an information indicating such requirement.

Regards,
    Scott Abell

Re: Access to DB2 OS/390 V6 via ODBC client?

I'm having a world of pain trying to do something similar with JDBC. My advice is to use DB2 Connect and set it up as a gateway. This gives the added advantage of connection pooling. The experts at IBM reccomend this approach.

Damian.

Originally posted by cobiker
    We have a application client (running on a Solaris OS) wanting to use ODBC to connect to a DB2 OS/390 V6 database.

Having read through the DB2 OS/390 manuals, it appears that it supports ODBC as a client, but not clear as a server for a ODBC client?

IBM leads one to think that you need this product called "DB2 Connect", but doesn't it boil down to using an ODBC driver on the client end to make things work.

One of the system programmers also thinks that we need USS (Unix System Services) installed on the mainframe but I have not come across an information indicating such requirement.

Regards,
    Scott Abell

Re: Access to DB2 OS/390 V6 via ODBC client?

>One of the system programmers also thinks that we need USS (Unix >System Services) installed on the mainframe but I have not come >across an information indicating such requirement.

AFAIK, you do not need USS on the mainframe to use ODBC Clients , rather it is the Distributed Data Facility(DDF) ... This, by default, creates a listner at port 443(pl verify) ... When you connect/configure ODBC clients, you will be using this port to communicate with the db2 database .... (I'm assuming you will be using TCPIP from Sun Client ... Support for other protocols is also available)

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Sathyaram,

You're close, the default port is 446 for DRDA relational database. And you are correct that we'll be using TCP/IP from the Sun Client.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
    Scott