Unanswered: unable to start sql2k service

hi,
    i have installed sql2k program to c: drive and database to f: drive. however, after changing the drive letter from f: to g: i am not able to start sql server service anymore. It seems like sql2k is looking for f: drive.
    pls help.
    thanks

I've never dealt with this directly and I'm somewhat of a SQL Server novice, but here's what I'd try.

Open SQL Server Manager
    Right-click the correct server
    Choose Properties
    Find General tab (which I think is the default)
    Click Start-up Parameters
    Edit parameters

This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

Opened SQL Server Manager, nothing there.. no server found?

I suspect that it is having some major issues trying to start any databases stored on f:/g: drive. Have a look in your errorlog file to find the problem. I have a feeling that you may have to rename your G: back to F: to start it. Then go through and move your db's manually. It might get messy though.

upon Right-click, no servers found??

Originally posted by gitzo
    I've never dealt with this directly and I'm somewhat of a SQL Server novice, but here's what I'd try.

Open SQL Server Manager
    Right-click the correct server
    Choose Properties
    Find General tab (which I think is the default)
    Click Start-up Parameters
    Edit parameters

This may or may not work, but it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

Provided Answers: 11
    If you installed the data to the F:\ drive, then SQL server is looking for the master database there. You will have to start up the MSSQLServer service with the flags for the new location of the master database files. According to BOL, the switches are -d (path to master.mdf) and -l (path to mastlog.ldf). Most likely, you will end up with all of the user dbs coming up as suspect, but you should be able to re-attach them after a little playing around with paths. Good luck.

Oh, if you can get the F:\ drive back, you will save yourself an awful lot of headaches.