Unanswered: SQL Backup (file)

Hi All

Just have 1 stupid question !!!

have a sql2000 and the disk that contains the mdf files are full, have the new disk and want to make a backup.

is the right way to do this, stop sql server, copy content to a networkshare, change disk, move back the sql data to the new disk (same file structor as before and same drive letter), start sql server and then im up ????

the logs are on a diffrent disk.

//aid

You can just do a restore command

restore database dbname from disk = 'c:\...'
    with replace,
    move 'db_data' to 'd:...',
    move 'db_log' to 'd:...'

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

hi rhigdon

but is it wrong the way i said ??? wy im asking is because im started to copy the data already, and the sql server dosent have to be up 4 a while.

//aid

For the database, I would do sp_detachdb and then copy the files over (unless you want to stop the SQL service) you would typically do a full backup of the disk and restore it to the new disk, that being said, you're way should work fine though. I didn't quite get what you were asking at first, now I get it.

GL
    ---------------

Thanks Ray

the sql service is stoped and i have stated to copy the sql data from the full disk to a network share, the disk that is full just contains the sqldata files nothing more.

im doing this quick and dirty becuse they are going to change the server soon, at the moment is there 5 disk and all are full, just want to have more space on the sql dtat disc 4 some weeks before the change of server...

so i can do it the way i do ???? the logs and "server" is not tuched, just changing the sql dtat disc withe a new..

excuse my bad english, its easyer to talk the write

//aid

You should be OK as long as you have any supplementary files on the new disk and make sure permissions are the same as the old.

Make sure you copy over ALL MDF's, if you forget to do a system one like master or MSDB you will have problems.
    ---------------