Unanswered: backup strategy for 11.9.2 on linux

I've got a 50GB db and I've been having some problems backing it up. I've been dumping the entire db nightly because some of the segments had both data and log so I couldn't dump just the transaction log. I moved the logsegment onto its own device but I still can't dump the transaction log because there's some non-logged transactions taking place. Is it time to go through all of the code and find the "select into" and bcp calls or is there some other way to do this?

Even if I could dump the transaction log, I'd stil like to dump the entire db every now and then. Linux has a 2GB file size limit and the max number of stripe devices is 32, at least on 11.9.2. So if my db grows to over 64GB I'm screwed. Is there a way around this? Does 12.5 eliminate these issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: backup strategy for 11.9.2 on linux

Originally posted by frankp
    I've got a 50GB db and I've been having some problems backing it up. I've been dumping the entire db nightly because some of the segments had both data and log so I couldn't dump just the transaction log. I moved the logsegment onto its own device but I still can't dump the transaction log because there's some non-logged transactions taking place. Is it time to go through all of the code and find the "select into" and bcp calls or is there some other way to do this?

Even if I could dump the transaction log, I'd stil like to dump the entire db every now and then. Linux has a 2GB file size limit and the max number of stripe devices is 32, at least on 11.9.2. So if my db grows to over 64GB I'm screwed. Is there a way around this? Does 12.5 eliminate these issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    ASE 12.5 allows database dumps to be compressed. Obviously it takes longer to dump the database when using compression.

dump database dbname to "compress::/dump1/dbname_stripe_01.dump"
    stripe on "compress::/dump1/dbname_stripe_02.dump"

etc..

Optionally you can specify the compression ratio. The larger the compression ratio, the longer the dump and subsequent restore will take.

dump database dbname to "compress::5::/dump1/dbname_stripe_01.dump"
    stripe on "compress::5::/dump1/dbname_stripe_02.dump"

to specify 5:1 compression ratio.

Wink

Buy a nice big tape drive.

Other than that you could bcp out your main data tables. 50 gig seems like quite a lot of data!! There may be a way you could pipe the output of your bcp into an archive to compress this, that would be pretty good but I have never tried that. Does anyone else know if that is possible??
    Last edited by syb_fkup; 08-11-03 at 06:14.