Unanswered: Pocket PC and Data Warehousing

I would like to start out this thread about Using pocket PC in Data Warehousing because I think there is not enough info about this subject.

If you have any experience in this subject, please feel free to post just about anything regarding this topic.

Thanks

Re: Pocket PC and Data Warehousing

Im new in the field of Data Warehousing and Pocket PC. I have been in the datawarehouse field for more than a year now. I've also owned a pocket pc for just as long. I used to specialize VB development and had contributed in a couple of asp projects using asp and vbscript.

I was just wondering, I do you start out using Pcoket PC as a medium for datawarehousing? Any ideas? Thoughts? Directions?

I'm curious - what was inspiration in bringing the pocket PC and data warehousing together. Sounds intriguing.

If what your saying is about using pocket pc to capture and display data, I've done a similar project a few months ago.

And its not new. Alot of companies are now coming out with customise solutions integrating hand held devices with an application that communicates with a database.

All you need to do is hook up a Wifi network, host a web server, design your application through the web, and viola!....you have pocket pc capable applications via the pocket pc browser pointing to your application URL, and you can scan barcodes data, view status and stuff back to the database sever.

Add some little naming convention to your system, and you can sell it like a profesional.

Originally posted by Patrick Chua
    If what your saying is about using pocket pc to capture and display data, I've done a similar project a few months ago.

And its not new. Alot of companies are now coming out with customise solutions integrating hand held devices with an application that communicates with a database.

All you need to do is hook up a Wifi network, host a web server, design your application through the web, and viola!....you have pocket pc capable applications via the pocket pc browser pointing to your application URL, and you can scan barcodes data, view status and stuff back to the database sever.

Add some little naming convention to your system, and you can sell it like a profesional.
    I wish it was that easy. I've developed ppc applications before too that uses SQL Server CE. The problem is its limited up to that.

Usually datawarehousing involves great amount of data usually viewed in pivot tables which gives it's users the ability to analyze and rearrange data to form it in such a way to perform better analysis.

I've asked around and it seems that the PPC 2003 Excel does not have pivot table capabilities that it's pc counterpart had.

As of now, the only handle microsoft has over pocket pc and datawarehousing is through "Mobile Internet toolkit" that basically uses thin clients capabilities turning the pocket pc into just a viewer of web pages. which is basically static data. The analysis that can be made over that is very limited.

I wonder if there is an olap cube reader for pocket pc out there?

Originally posted by julie
    I'm curious - what was inspiration in bringing the pocket PC and data warehousing together. Sounds intriguing.

At first, decision makers of a company wanted to mobility over their data warehouse reports. You usually need a pc to view those reports either with excel, web with excel components or third party datawraehouse clients. Bottom line, you need a PC. Freedom from lugging around big devices like a laptopn seems to be an intriguing notion to those people who uses these kinds of reports.

Yup, pocket pc application are limited in some areas, but are convinient in mobility. So information shown via pocket pc have to
    be design just for some average reporting purposes.

The pocket pc browser is the most useful tool I can think of for doing this. What you can't do with pivot tables in Excel , you can design ASP applications that query this information back to the main database server.

And depending on what you select to see, and post it to the ASP server, results are posted back to you via your pocket pc browser for you to see dynamic data.

What you normally do with designing pivot tables in excel, you just have to go do it the long via ASP type designs.