Thread: Databases

Question Unanswered: Databases

I have a database on my providers server which I use for my forum with the aid of the provided username, password, hostname, port and database name.

I would like to set up a freeware shopping basket, do I need a seperate database or can I use the existing one while keeping my forum running too.

[...]like to set up a freeware shopping basket, do I need a seperate database or can I use the existing one while keeping my forum running too.
    Find out from your service provider if you can have a new database. If yes, then whats the $$.

IMHO, a seperate database would be better. If not for anything but for the sake of easier maintenance.

regards
    theN

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [...]like to set up a freeware shopping basket, do I need a seperate database or can I use the existing one while keeping my forum running too.

it's recommended to have a seperate database but not absolutly necessary.
    If it is expensive to use an additional database you have to make sure your tablenames have to be unique. This can be done with a prefix in front of the tablename.

table "user" become "myshop_user" ...

... but this must be supported by the shop software. You have to find out.

for example : the shop osCommerce did not (out of the box) http://www.oscommerce.com

I did some modifications to that shop - now it works with prefixes. If you are interested - mail me.

gupi