Thumbs up Unanswered: Oooh! Sweet merciful crap!

I'm downloading Sybase ASE 12.5 for Linux when I see this:

sybase-efts-12.5-3.i386.rpm
    The efts package installs the Enhanced Full-Text Search Specialty Data Store, which provides the capability to do complex searches on character and text data stored in the ASE. The performance of the searches can be orders of magnitude faster than using standard SQL searches.

FINALLY! No longer will Sybase ASE for Linux languish with no full-text search engine.. IT IS HERE! YAYAYAA!!
    Thanks,

Matt

Looks nice.

Where's the prices for the Linux versions? I've looked all over their site and saw every platform except Linux.

I want to know how much it will cost to run on this server (Liunux 6.1).

It is buried in there somewhere.

Remember 11.0.3 is free if you want it.
    11.9.2 this time last year cost us around $12K for 2 CPU internet license and 24/7 suppport.

I think for an I-net license it was like $4500 per CPU and then $4K for 24/7 (which they inflated; it was $2200 but they have a $4,000 minimum ).

Obviously we're going to wait a bit to upgrade to 12.5 but I'd like to roll 12.5 out with my port of vB2.0 (hope to have a beta up by the 4th).
    Thanks,

Matt

Originally posted by MattR
    Remember 11.0.3 is free if you want it.
    Is it really free do use for any purpose? That sounds almost too good to be true.

Other than the LIMIT statement are were there any other big problems you came across when porting? What about things like auto increments and other data types? Did you convert much of the code to triggers and procedures or did you just change the SQL syntax?

Originally posted by Paul

Is it really free do use for any purpose? That sounds almost too good to be true.
    Well, you don't get any support for it if it breaks but yes, there is something in life which is free!!

You get 11.0.3 and the client libraries on Linux for 100% free for any use!

Other than the LIMIT statement are were there any other big problems you came across when porting? What about things like auto increments and other data types? Did you convert much of the code to triggers and procedures or did you just change the SQL syntax?
    Sybase doesn't support 3 different text datatypes so they are all 'text' instead of 'small text' and the like.

INT( 10 ) AUTO INCREMENT

is now:
    NUMERIC( 10, 0 ) IDENTITY

For 2.0 I am pushing everything that I can into triggers and really heavily modifying the code. The current code on FanHome is mainly just making SQL code work and using stored procedures where I can. No triggers.

The only problem you might run into with 11.0.3 is that the session table, if heavily hit, might run into locking problems since it is page-only locking. However it took us 400 users before that happened so it shouldn't be a problem for now. You could always stretch the rows out so that they are 2K and fill up the entire page and then set the max_rows_per_page on the index to 1. That should emulate row level locking.
    Thanks,

Matt

I just went to Barnes & Noble and Borders looking for a Sybase book. Would you believe they only had one book between them, and that was an out of date book for v 10 & 11!

I guess I'll have to order online and wait for delivery

Do you have any recommendations? Is there something similar to the Oracle Press book ( but for Sybase obviously )

I don't need half of the book telling me about database design and crap etc. I want more of a reference type book that highlights the Sybase specific functions. It needs to cover the SQL and the configuration and tuning etc.

I just went to Barnes & Noble and Borders looking for a Sybase book. Would you believe they only had one book between them, and that was an out of date book for v 10 & 11!

I guess I'll have to order online and wait for delivery

Do you have any recommendations? Is there something similar to the Oracle Press book ( but for Sybase obviously )

I don't need half of the book telling me about database design and crap etc. I want more of a reference type book that highlights the Sybase specific functions. It needs to cover the SQL and the configuration and tuning etc.
    You're not going to find very many. However I've never needed one other than the online Sybase books.

On this thread:
    http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65148

I indicate what I find useful online and as I said the only books I've ever needed are the Sybase-published manuals. I think there are two or three new 12.5 books slated to be released in the next 6 to 12 months.
    Thanks,

Matt