Thread: Dumb Question

Lightbulb Unanswered: Dumb Question

If this is a dumb question, feel free to make fun of me until I cry. I have an idea for a program to make and all I want to know is if it would be possible (because it would make my job so much easier!!) and if so how complicated would it be. I want to make a program that would take the following text (name, address, etc will vary every time) and format it into an easier to read format.

Salutation : Mr. First Name : Poo Last Name : Ping Company : Poo Ping Palace Street : 1 Stinky Lane Area Code : 47201 City : Columbus Country : US Phone Number: 555-911-0202 Fax Number : MobileNumber: 311-111-1114 EmailAddress: poo.ping@whatever.org Subject : I hate your products

I want it to come out of the program like this:

Salutation:
    F Name: XXX
    L Name: XXX
    Company: XXX
    Street: XXXX
    City: XXXX

Etc.

Is it possible? I'm pretty new to visual basic and I don't want to take on something that's not even possible or something far above my level.

Thanks

Just learn some basic Visual Basic Variable Declarations, code and properties and you should be able to make a forum and a solution to your problem.

Good luck...

Originally posted by avikatz18
    Just learn some basic Visual Basic Variable Declarations, code and properties and you should be able to make a forum and a solution to your problem.

Good luck...
    Thank you for the encouragement. I have the program up and runing pretty good but the only glitch I'm running into is when there are line breaks in the text that is being inputted. I have tried various ways to remove them such as

if character(x) = chr(13) then character(x) = " "

and

text = replace(text, chr(13), " ")

but neither is working. Please help.

Try to replace chr(10) too. Note that the line breaks are composed by chr(10) + chr(13). There are a VB Constant for that - VbCrLf that you can use too.

[]'s
    Claiton

Originally posted by powermanz28
    Thank you for the encouragement. I have the program up and runing pretty good but the only glitch I'm running into is when there are line breaks in the text that is being inputted. I have tried various ways to remove them such as

if character(x) = chr(13) then character(x) = " "

and

text = replace(text, chr(13), " ")

but neither is working. Please help.