Unanswered: Tempspace full and SQL challenge

Hi folks,
    Can anyone please help me in solving this error:

SMS Tablespace 5(TEMPSPACE2) is FULL or file is too large (at OS or user limit).
    Detected on Container 0. ContPage= 13409 Obj=11 Type=128

I have been going thru this now for 5 days and can not find anything else to check but the SQL, my weakest point.

We are running DB2 Level:
    DB2 code release "SQL07024" with level
    identifier "03050105" and informational tokens "DB2 v7.1.0.60", "s020313" and
    "U481406".

on AIX v 5.1

Tempspace is 14G, SMS and one container
    Ulimit info:
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 245760
    stack(kbytes) 16384
    memory(kbytes) 32768
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000

This has to be an inefficient query but I have no idea what I can do to fix it.

Query:
    Select a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD, a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY,

a.POITEM_CMMITD_AMT, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT, a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd,

a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor, a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, a.iia_cap_proj_id,

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num, a.rcd_delete_fg, b.orig_rqsn_id
    FROM PURCH.podetailsummary_v a , purch.rqsn_v b
    where
    a.po_id = b.po_id and
    a.poitem_num = b.poitem_num

UNION

Select a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD, a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY,

a.POITEM_CMMITD_AMT, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT, a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd,

a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor, a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, a.iia_cap_proj_id,

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num, a.rcd_delete_fg, ' '
    where not
    a.po_id = b.po_id
    and not a.poitem_num = b.poitem_num
    PURCH.podetailsummary_v:

create view purch.podetailsummary_v (po_id, poitem_num, PRCHGRP_ID, ORDER_UOM_CD, POITEM_QTY, TOT_INVCD_QTY,

TOT_ACCPTD_QTY, POITEM_CMMITD_AMT, TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, VEN_NAME, PO_ISSUE_DT, SPCHG_PAID_AMT, ibmemp_num, div_cd,

ledgacct_major_num, ledgacct_minor_num, ledgacct_subminor, deptchg_ou_id, invitacc_proj_num, iia_cap_proj_id,

matl_short_desc,poia_cappro_num, rcd_delete_fg ) as (Select distinct a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD,

a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY, a.POITEM_CMMItd_amt, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT,

a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd, a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor,

a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, b.iia_cap_proj_id, a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num,a.rcd_delete_fg FROM

PURCH.PODETAILTEMP_V a, purch.inv_item_account b WHERE a.PO_ID = b.po_id AND a.POITEM_NUM = b.poitem_num Union Select

distinct a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD, a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY,

a.POITEM_CMMItd_amt, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT, a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd,

a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor, a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, ' ',

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num,a.rcd_delete_fg FROM PURCH.PODETAILtemp_V a where a.po_id||a.poitem_num not in

(select po_id||poitem_num from purch.inv_item_account))

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Re: Tempspace full and SQL challenge

I think you need to Explain your SQL Statement and see when it performs a sort or when it creates temp tables ... The easiest place to start is visual explain ... Look at one of grofaty's posts in the forum for a link on Visual Explain Tutorial ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by lydiap
    Hi folks,
    Can anyone please help me in solving this error:

SMS Tablespace 5(TEMPSPACE2) is FULL or file is too large (at OS or user limit).
    Detected on Container 0. ContPage= 13409 Obj=11 Type=128

I have been going thru this now for 5 days and can not find anything else to check but the SQL, my weakest point.

We are running DB2 Level:
    DB2 code release "SQL07024" with level
    identifier "03050105" and informational tokens "DB2 v7.1.0.60", "s020313" and
    "U481406".

on AIX v 5.1

Tempspace is 14G, SMS and one container
    Ulimit info:
    time(seconds) unlimited
    file(blocks) unlimited
    data(kbytes) 245760
    stack(kbytes) 16384
    memory(kbytes) 32768
    coredump(blocks) 2097151
    nofiles(descriptors) 2000

This has to be an inefficient query but I have no idea what I can do to fix it.

Query:

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num, a.rcd_delete_fg, b.orig_rqsn_id
    where
    a.po_id = b.po_id and
    a.poitem_num = b.poitem_num

UNION

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num, a.rcd_delete_fg, ' '
    where not
    a.po_id = b.po_id
    and not a.poitem_num = b.poitem_num
    PURCH.podetailsummary_v:

create view purch.podetailsummary_v (po_id, poitem_num, PRCHGRP_ID, ORDER_UOM_CD, POITEM_QTY, TOT_INVCD_QTY,

TOT_ACCPTD_QTY, POITEM_CMMITD_AMT, TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, VEN_NAME, PO_ISSUE_DT, SPCHG_PAID_AMT, ibmemp_num, div_cd,

ledgacct_major_num, ledgacct_minor_num, ledgacct_subminor, deptchg_ou_id, invitacc_proj_num, iia_cap_proj_id,

matl_short_desc,poia_cappro_num, rcd_delete_fg ) as (Select distinct a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD,

a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY, a.POITEM_CMMItd_amt, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT,

a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd, a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor,

a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, b.iia_cap_proj_id, a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num,a.rcd_delete_fg FROM

PURCH.PODETAILTEMP_V a, purch.inv_item_account b WHERE a.PO_ID = b.po_id AND a.POITEM_NUM = b.poitem_num Union Select

distinct a.po_id, a.poitem_num, a.PRCHGRP_ID, a.ORDER_UOM_CD, a.POITEM_QTY, a.TOT_INVCD_QTY, a.TOT_ACCPTD_QTY,

a.POITEM_CMMItd_amt, a.TOT_ITEM_PAID_AMT, a.VEN_NAME, a.PO_ISSUE_DT, a.SPCHG_PAID_AMT, a.ibmemp_num, a.div_cd,

a.ledgacct_major_num, a.ledgacct_minor_num, a.ledgacct_subminor, a.deptchg_ou_id, a.invitacc_proj_num, ' ',

a.matl_short_desc, a.poia_cappro_num,a.rcd_delete_fg FROM PURCH.PODETAILtemp_V a where a.po_id||a.poitem_num not in

(select po_id||poitem_num from purch.inv_item_account))

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Re: Tempspace full and SQL challenge

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    I think you need to Explain your SQL Statement and see when it performs a sort or when it creates temp tables ... The easiest place to start is visual explain ... Look at one of grofaty's posts in the forum for a link on Visual Explain Tutorial ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Ok, in case anyone else has a funnky query like we had here, let me explain what I did to get this job running again.

Instead of using the view, PURCH.podetailsummary_v , in the join and UNION statements, I exported the data from the view, loaded it into its own table in its own tablespace and used the table in the query.
    From the explain and the access plan (in the DB2 control Center, under interactive), I could see that a lot of time was spent first creating the views.
    A bonus was that the processing time has been reduced by 2/3rds.