Unanswered: Sql server 2000 service pack 3 and Windows 2003 Server don't work.

I can't start my sql server at all on win 2003 server. I have applied the SP3, but nothing starts. From enterprise manager when I connect to the server it says: "A connection could not be established. SQL Server does not exist or access denied". It works only to the point when you restart your pc. Any ideas. Thanks.

I know this is something serious, but I have trial versions for both servers and I don't know if I can get any Microsoft support on this.

Re: Sql server 2000 service pack 3 and Windows 2003 Server don't work.

Hi

How have your go your SQL service configured? Using local system or using a domain name?

Regards

Richard...

Sql Server problems

It uses Local System Account.

Re: Sql Server problems

Did you check the security event log to make sure that the Local system has access rights to the SQL server area? Windows Server 2003 reduced the amount of access rights the local system has if memory serves me correctly.

Change the startup account to a domain user or your own account details to see if it starts using the Service control panel.

Same errors

The security event log has no problems in there.

I switched to "This Account" and still can't log in.

Re: Same errors

Has the SQL Service started? By the way which version of SQL server are you using? If its 7 then SP 3 switches the security from mix mode to NT authenication only by default. The user you are logging in as, is it a NT user or a SQL user?

Re:

I'm using SQL Server 2000 with SP3. Same thing was when I did not apply the SP.

I'm logging in using Administrator account when in the "This Account" mode.

This combination of win 2003 and sql server 2000 used to work for me before on a different machine, but it won't work here. Well it works only after the installation of sql server 2000, but when I restart the computer, it won't work.

Hi, I not seen it do that before. I cannot test this out at the moment as I cannot get hold of my Window Server 2003 CD until tomorrow. I have had it working fine myself, once upgraded to SP3a anyway. When you say administrator, our you talking about the local administrator account or the domain administrator account?

RE

Local administrator, since my computer is not on a domain.