Thread: MySQL ODBC

Unanswered: MySQL ODBC

Hello Everyone,

Trying to create an ODBC connection to MySQL through Excel. Client needs to access back-end data using Excel spreadsheet. I installed the last MySQL ODBC driver (production release...3.51 I think). Anyway, the driver installed on a Windows 2000 machine. Next, I created an entry in mysql:users for an account to access from anyway (% as the entry in the Host field). Privileges were flushed. Is there anything else that needs to be done? I am getting a connection error....I verified the port (3306), tried both the IP address and Host name....even put the password in as MD5 and plain text. I get the standard MySQL 'access denied' error message meaning the driver must be working as it seems to be hitting MySQL. Any other ideas?

Thanks much in advance.

Marty

Provided Answers: 1

Re: MySQL ODBC

Originally posted by DrSmartman
    Hello Everyone,

Trying to create an ODBC connection to MySQL through Excel. Client needs to access back-end data using Excel spreadsheet. I installed the last MySQL ODBC driver (production release...3.51 I think). Anyway, the driver installed on a Windows 2000 machine. Next, I created an entry in mysql:users for an account to access from anyway (% as the entry in the Host field). Privileges were flushed. Is there anything else that needs to be done? I am getting a connection error....I verified the port (3306), tried both the IP address and Host name....even put the password in as MD5 and plain text. I get the standard MySQL 'access denied' error message meaning the driver must be working as it seems to be hitting MySQL. Any other ideas?

Thanks much in advance.

Marty
    What about the permissions of this user?
    Have you tried connecting with the mysql client?

MySQL ODBC - Authentication

Hello,

Thanks for the reply bstjean! Actually, it was a simple mistake. For future novices, this is what I did....

Instead of using the PASSWORD function to enter into the 'user.Password' field I used MD5.....this caused an authentication failure. I re-entered my password using PASSWORD then flushed the privileges. Now, everything works fine. The ODBC driver makes life easy when you are runnning a MySQL database, but your end-users want Access and Excel.

Live and learn, right?

Thanks again!