Unanswered: Oracle table too BIG

Hey,

When i export a large table from Oracle to MS Access, my MS Access is not able to get the table because there's alot of data in it. Is there anyway to go around or solve this problem ?

Much thanks for those willing to help...

MS Access is not designed to handle large amounts of data, but it must be a VERY large table in order to get errors like that.

I suggest extracting a portion of the table.
    Perhaps 25-50% of the data?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

When you say "export Oracle table to MS Access" what exactly are you doing? Trying to create a database link?

how to export 25-50% ?

How do you export 25-50% of the data ?

My company has a huge table of fields and data. even if exporting 25%, i think that will amount to 50,000 rows ?

Solutions anyone ?

if 50000 is 25%, then your total amount is about 200000 rows. That is absolutely no problem for Access to handle. Hey, I even got one Access database here which has a table with over 7 million (!) rows. Ok, that might be a "little" over the top but it still works.
    Bye,

Jeroen

A 3D editor project
    www.delgine.com

Re: how to export 25-50% ?

Originally posted by malvin10
    How do you export 25-50% of the data ?

My company has a huge table of fields and data. even if exporting 25%, i think that will amount to 50,000 rows ?

Solutions anyone ?
    MS Access 97 will handle millions of rows, but the catch is that the the number of rows across is limited to 254 columns.

I don't know if the they have fixed this, but the total size of the database in Acc97 is limited to 1GB. And that 1GB limit is based on all tables, hidden tables, forms, forms modules, reports, queries, macros and modules in the database.

Can you use an ODBC call instead?

when i import the rows into MS Access, it takes a very long time and my access will end up hanging. i've tried this many a time and it happens over and over again.

is it my access has a problem or ???

Using a ODBC link will solve your problem instead of bringing the whole data to Access. Plus you will face less data corruption issues with Oracle

what do you mean by using ODBC link ? How do u go abt doing it ?

If you are using XP go to Control Panel-> Administration Tools-> ODBC Data Sources. Add a User/System DSN Name to point to the Oracle Database. You have to choose a ODBC Driver , either Microsoft or Oracle will do.

Then open Access, go to File->Get External Data-> Link Tables. You can choose the ODBC DSN (Data Source Name) you had created earlier. Login to Oracle , select the Table Name in question and create the link.

I have explained it in brief, should be easy enough to figure out yourself.

Thanks