Post Unanswered: Transaction using JDBC

I am using Informix Dynamic Server 7.3 on UNIX. I am connecting to the DB using JDBC driver. My application requires transaction to be maintained while inserting data. But when I call setAutoCommit(false) a SQLException is thrown saying "Transaction Not Supported".

What is the possible cause of this error? Any settings to be made while installation? I have searched IBM's site for help but couldn't find any.

Can anyone help me out please to find a solution.

Re: Transaction using JDBC

Originally posted by nikhilbhave
    I am using Informix Dynamic Server 7.3 on UNIX. I am connecting to the DB using JDBC driver. My application requires transaction to be maintained while inserting data. But when I call setAutoCommit(false) a SQLException is thrown saying "Transaction Not Supported".

What is the possible cause of this error? Any settings to be made while installation? I have searched IBM's site for help but couldn't find any.

Can anyone help me out please to find a solution.
    Hi Nikhil,

First of all check whether you can connect thru ODBC. Create a system DSN & try connecting it. Alternatively you can check whether your database was created with logging i.e. either buffered or Mode Ansi. If your database was created without logging then it won't support transactions. You can also install the informix client sdk 2.81 ver. from the ibm site and check.

Regards,

lloyd

Question Re: Transaction using JDBC

i have the same problem. how can i see if my database was created with logging? i have the informix client sdk, how can i check this?.
    thank's!!!!

Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Nikhil,

First of all check whether you can connect thru ODBC. Create a system DSN & try connecting it. Alternatively you can check whether your database was created with logging i.e. either buffered or Mode Ansi. If your database was created without logging then it won't support transactions. You can also install the informix client sdk 2.81 ver. from the ibm site and check.

Regards,

lloyd

Found a solution. create database using following:
    Create DATABASE <dbname> WITH LOG MODE ANSI

This will solve the problem of setAutoCommit(false) throwing an exception.

Regards,
    Nikhil