Unanswered: Making runtime solutions for Windoze

Hi

I am new hear, SO be gentle with me> :-)

I am trying to make a databswe I have made on OSX into a runtime solution to work on windoze. It works on Mac but not on windoze.

ANy ideas why.

I am using filemaker developer 6

I don't ssee to have any dlls to include. is that whats wrong...?

I may be wrong dude, but as far as I understand with 5.5 you cannot create a runtime app that will run on windows and mac from the same compiled DB. I would imagine same true of v6. The runtime app creates an app and a DB(s) that was selected. This DB(s) can be opened by a windows or mac version of the runtime application itself. So the DB file(s) containing the data are cross platform and can come from the same original FM DB. But, the actual application itself is not going to run on both platforms. Do you follow what I am saying? You have data file(s) and an application file after compiling. The data files are cross platform, just like a normal filemaker DB. The database app is platform specific, like filemaker application itself.

HI

yeh I sussed that out yesterdays fater poring over loads of ffilemaker forums, but thanks.

Now my problem is mailing. I am trying to mail and attach my runtime solutiona dn its data to a specified address.

It works fine on Mac. But nothing happens with the send mail script in windoze.

I got it to sen mail using an "open Url" mailto hack but that was rather unsatisfactory as I need to attach the file too.

thanks

Originally posted by macfink
    Now my problem is mailing. I am trying to mail and attach my runtime solutiona dn its data to a specified address. It works fine on Mac. But nothing happens with the send mail script in windoze.

I got it to sen mail using an "open Url" mailto hack but that was rather unsatisfactory as I need to attach the file too.
    I had similar problems with many things I needed to do. There is so much difference in what I need to do/can do in OS X, OS 9, & Windows. It is a pain. So, I recommend investing in a good mail plug-in that will give you better functionality and allow you to use a common script, function, in all platforms. I recommend using these guys plug-ins for FTP and mail. Works great and they have a developer license that allows you to use the plug-in in your runtime DB solutions with no per copy licensing requirements. http://www.cnsplug-ins.com

I know it's pricey, but by the time you come up with three different ways to do something and have three versions of your DB to use different functions, you fing it's the best way to go. HTH

Talking

thanks best advice yet. I will check it out

Run-time solution for Windoze

To create a Windows .exe run-time solution you will need to install FMPro Advanced on a computer running MSW or install MSW in a virtual environment. Once installed you will get the desired menu option that will allow you to create the run-time to run on Windows. The platform in which you want to run the run-time on must be created on that platform i.e. Mac run-time must be created on a Macintosh and Windows run-time must be created on Windows. Hope this helps out & good luck.