Unhappy Unanswered: importing errors

Hello Gang
    I got a questing??????

I have a 14 gig database to remotely import to a server on the west coast. It's done once a month for updates and it's takes around 15 hours to complete per the user. Any suggestion on how to setup this job to run on it's own without fiscally setting up a string ever month. I'm thinking the sql loader in some type of job. Now a imp-0002 oracle error continues to come up.

Re: importing errors

Sheer brute force method, use a hot backup and restore/recover- that will certainly be much faster than importing. If they only need updates once a month, maybe someone else can add some insight on replication.

re: imp-0002, is the target server pre-8.1.7.3, and does the data include LOBs? If so, there's a memory leak bug in imp, it may crash on one table after so many rows, after another month of data is in the export file it hits earlier- either on the same table or a previous one.

Unhappy Re: importing errors

This is my first day on this project and thats the first thing I thought of was replication. The only problem is the the server now resides on the west coast and the administration with be done on the east.

Thanks

Originally posted by clcart
    Sheer brute force method, use a hot backup and restore/recover- that will certainly be much faster than importing. If they only need updates once a month, maybe someone else can add some insight on replication.

re: imp-0002, is the target server pre-8.1.7.3, and does the data include LOBs? If so, there's a memory leak bug in imp, it may crash on one table after so many rows, after another month of data is in the export file it hits earlier- either on the same table or a previous one.

Another way to speed things up using import and export is to put the server into noarchivelog mode during the imp. Also import the data first (with no indexes/constarints) and then apply constraints and indexes in a second imp.

Alan