Angry Unanswered: Parameters shmamaters

Why do I keep getting the error "Too few parameters. Expected 1." when I paste the SQL from Query Design directly into a VBA code? I am trying to retrieve a record based on the input of a text box.

SELECT ECR_ADMIN_USER.*, ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID
    FROM ECR_ADMIN_USER
    WHERE (((ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID)=[Forms]![frmLOGINCHG]![txtUser]));

Too many parantheses for Access's liking?

your parenthesis count is correct.

i guess you are pasting into a string (e.g. strSQL) so you actually have
    Code:
    strSQL = "SELECT ECR_ADMIN_USER.*, ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID FROM ECR_ADMIN_USER "
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE (((ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID)=[Forms]![frmLOGINCHG]![txtUser]));"
    so, in effect, you are trying to match your _USER_ID to the literal string "[Forms]![frmLOGINCHG]![txtUser]" ...which is probably not what you want!!!

try:
    Code:
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE (((ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID)='" &[Forms]![frmLOGINCHG]![txtUser] & "'));"
    izy

Provided Answers: 1
    As a side note, you can simplify your query (always desirable when manipulating SLQ text!) by not calling ECR_ADMIN_USER.I_USER_ID when it already being returned as part of ECR_ADMIN_USER.*:

SELECT ECR_ADMIN_USER.*
    FROM ECR_ADMIN_USER
    WHERE I_USER_ID=[Forms]![frmLOGINCHG]![txtUser];

Neither do you need all those confusing parenthesis, which the query designer automatically includes 'cause it keeps track of them easily while we mortals get confused.

Then, if izyrider's answer doesn't solve your problem, can we assume that ECR_ADMIN_USER is a table (not a stored query) and that frmLOGINCHG is open? Is your code in a global module or a form module?

blindman