Question Unanswered: Random AutoNumber

I have an application that uses this feature to return random records from a table. However I have been asked to explain the randomisation process that Access uses to generate this number and can't find any reference to this anywhere. I was hoping that some kind soul out there may know. Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Paul

good question. good approach (i hope!!! (i am currently also looking at using random autonumber to randomize records))

but... i don't see any documentation.

i imagine that (for economy) ms is using the usual A rnd generator function (also undocumented as far as i know), system date/time as seed (once?, each day?, each call?), and scaling to fit in the +/- max of a long (i.e +/- 2.something*10^9).

??? how would one validate software using an undefined rnd function?
    ??? how would one justify in court the "random" selection of employees for drug-abuse testing?

izy

You are right I appear to have solved one problem only to be faced with the problem of validating it and thus being able to integrate it into the application. Still it gives me an excuse to surf all day !!!

If I find out I'll be sure to let you know.

Paul