Unanswered: how to check when a database was last updated

Is there any way to query a database and figure out when any table within that database was last updated.

do you mean when the data was last updated or when table structures were last updated?
    Johan

Originally posted by jora
    do you mean when the data was last updated or when table structures were last updated?
    When the data was last updated.

Ideally I am looking for timestamp information like, the Northwind database was last updated (ie. a row was changed in the Customers table) on 1/1/2003.

as far as I know, SQL does only keep track of creation dates of tables and not for data modification. Therefore I think you should use a last_modified column of datetime and triggers to update this column.
    Johan

Provided Answers: 1
    A modified_datetime field (which you will need to update using a trigger on each table) is the preferred method. I usually store two values; the modified date and the modifier, which I pull from one of the system user nyladic functions.

If you can't modify the database, there is probably a way to do it (perhaps through a third-party application) by monitoring the log.

blindman

Talking

You are right, I am not able to modify the tables to add any new columns, but I was able to find a workable solution.

The ::fn_dblog(null, null) returned exactly the data I was looking for. Check out this link: http://www.novicksoftware.com/UDFofW...-fn_dblog.htm, for more info about it.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Matt