Unanswered: SQL Server 2000 (dev. edition) Install on XP Pro

Hi,
    I have search this and several other forums on how to install SQL Server 2000 (developer edition) on Windows XP Pro, but have found no answers. I installed SQL 2000 and I thought I was successful, but when I went into enterprise manager to create a new database I received the error - SQL Server does not exist or access is denied -... I'm guessing access is denied for some reason. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I know it's a dumb question, but any help really would be appreciated. I have exhausted google and other search engines trying to find answers. If I need to post more info. about my problem please let me know.

Thanks!

Hi normally you would get this sort of problem with the following issues:-

1. The default port is not 1433 but the tools think it is.
    2. The protocol being used is Namepipes but the tools think it is TCP/IP or vise versa.
    3. The SQL Server service not started.
    4. The tools think that you are using SQL authenication mode, but the server is set to NT authenication, unlikely but it worth a try.
    5. You installed a named instance, but are not using the Server\instance name syntax.

If you installed SQL 2000 Dev on XP, then that means your user account would have local admin rights or else it would not install. Therefore I would not expect any access denied messages.