Unanswered: Please Explain OpenRecordset

Could someone please explain how to use OpenRecodset? I consider myself to be pretty good with Access, but I just can't get this. I am making a form that calculates the average time. I tested it out with a table called "Average Time" and used this for OpenRecordset:

Set RS = DB.OpenRecordset("Average Time")

When I tried doing the same thing in the production database, the records where in a query. No problem I thought. I replaced "Average Time" with the name of the query. Now I get "Run-time error '3061'". With I little research I found out it is due to the criteria in the query referencing my form fields. I did some more research to find out how to do it with criteria, and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Someone please help!

Préverenges, Switzerland
    does your query WHERE try to match a text (as opposed to numeric) field? frequent source of this error is:
    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM blah WHERE txtField = Box.value;"

txtField = "quoted string" is expected: no quotes = missing parameter = 3061.

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM blah WHERE txtField = '" & Box.value &"';" adds the necessary quotes and the string value from the box on the form

With OpenRecordset you open a kind of table, and not a query. If you want to open a query, write the SQL-string instead of the tablename (db.openrecordset("Select * from bla",dbopendynaset) ) or use the querydef-object of the DB.

Thanks for the help. It seems to be working better now. One thing is causing problems with the SQL though. I need to use just the time portion of a date/time stamp. So my code looks like this:

strSQL = "SELECT [Employee - Actual Daily Arrival Time].Name, Format([First Badge Access],'Medium Time') AS [Arrival Time] FROM [Employee - Actual Daily Arrival Time] WHERE Name = '" & cmbName.value &"' And [First Badge Access] Between '# & txtStartDate.value & #' And '# & txtEndDate.value & #';"

The Format([First Badge Access],'Medium Time') is causing problems. If I just use [First Badge Access] it works, but the output is incorrect because it includes the date with the time. If I make a standard query with the output of that string, it works. So what am I doing wrong?