Unanswered: Trailing Space Automatic Trimming in Oracle Forms9i
We are using Oracle Forms9i and back-end as Oracle9i Database (9.2). We are facing a specific problem while working with Forms9i. I am givign the steps as showm below:
1. We have a table named TEST (a number not null, b char(1) not null).
2. When we insert a record throuhg SQL*PLUS like this:
insert into test values (1, ' '). The record is inserted in the table TEST successfully.
3. We checked the length of column b i.e. select length(b) from test, it is showing 1. This is the correct value because it has inserted a space in column 'b' of the table TEST. (That's what we want).
4. We created a form having data-block from table TEST and trying to insert the same record throuhg Forms9i.
5. There it gives an error of "Unable to INSERT record" becuase in form builder, it is trimming the spaces for column 'b' automatically and making it NULL. Since the column 'b' defined as NOT NULL in table TEST, hence generating the error. (Basically there in form builder, it is generating ORA-01400 error which is can not insert NULL value in NOT NULL column).
We would like to know why in form builder, space is automatically being trimmed to NULL..? We do not want this to happen. We want space to be inserted as space only. How can i implement this case, becuase we need this kind of functionality in our form builder application.
Thanks in advace for ur help & support. Any tips would be highly appreciated.