Unanswered: Help, Need To Run App On CD

Hi,
    I am looking for help and suggestions.

I am looking to run a database application from a CD. It is currently written in Access but staying in Access is not a necessity. It needs to be run standalone on the CD and can not install any files on the PC that it runs on.

I am not sure if this is possible and would appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks,
    John

CDs are (generally*) read-only. As long as you don't need to save any information, for example, if your system is an information retrieval system, distributing on a CD should work just fine.

You can test it by setting the read-only property of the .mdb file to "true" and run the app. If that works, you won't have any trouble running it from a CD.

*While some CDs have re-write capability, they don't behave anything like a hard drive.

JTRockville,

Thanks for the reply, you are correct and my database is read-only.

I have heard that there are problems depending on which version (if any) of Access is loaded on the PC. I also think that I have heard that the run time of Access will need to install files on the PC. Unfortunatly, I can not install anything on the PCs and the application must run standalone on the CD.

Thanks again,
    John

It's been way too long since I've worked with the runtime version.... but... if memory serves me...

Users didn't have to "install" anything. So as long as you include all necessary files on the CD, so your app doesn't have to search windoze for anything, it should work just fine no matter what version (if any) of Access they have installed.