Cool Unanswered: Informix / Delphi Connection

Hi there everyone!

I'm currently on DB-Access Version 7.30.UC9. The Informix is for BaaN ERP. The data is stored in raw format.

I'm curious whether it is possible to connect into the Informix and view the data using software written in, maybe Delphi or Visual Basic?

Thanks a bunch!

Bobby

We've been using Delphi as a frontend for an Informix database since 1997 more or less without any problem. You only must get and configure Informix SDK and setup an ODBC

Thanks very much for your reply! What sort of filesystem is your Informix on?

THanks again!

The data is stored in raw partitions. initially wa had a Unix server but since none in our staff is hendy with unix we decided to move the database to Windows NT. It supports file and raw partitions just as Unix does and it has been absolutly stable, no problems.

By the way the kind of filesystem or even Informix platform is meaningless to Delphi since it connects with the server by an IP port no matter if it is Unix or NT or raw or file.

Oh I see! Thank you so much!

Was trying to find the Informix SDK yesteday from the IBM website but without much success. Will try again today as I've more time now.

I hope I can seek help and advice from you if I'm stuck!

Thanks again!

Alrighto... got the Informix CSDK! Gonna try it out now...

Help... what is the difference between the server and the hostname? And what should the servicename and protocolname be?

Thanks for your help!

Bob

Ok let see: in hostname you use the machine's name, or better yet for W2k and above, the IP adress of the host that runs Informix.

Serverneme is the name of your Informix instance, check DBSERVERNAME parameter on the onconfig file. Servicename is the name of the listening service that will process the client's request it's configured at server's installation, it could be Turbo at 1526 port, check the services file or setnet config at your host. I alse recommend you that use the port number and not the name in W2000 and above.

Protocol could be onsoctcp or olsoctcp, check NETTYPE at the onconfig file.

Hope that helps

We use AnyDAC to import data from Informix database into Firebird database. AnyDAC connects to Informix through ODBC. No problems so far.