Question Unanswered: Execute Immediate and Interval

I am trying to write a function in Oracle that works similar to the DATEADD feature in SQL Server. Since we are using 9i I am able to do this by simply using the "interval" function in Oracle. I am trying to have a datepart, number and date passed in as variables. A timestamp will be returned after the calculations are made. I am trying dynamically create a statement that will do something like this:

select sysdate + interval '1' hour into variable from dual;

where sysdate would be the date passed in, the '1' would be the number passed in and and hour represents the datepart passed in. I know this has to be simple but because the number passed in must be in quotes I am having a heck of a time creating the dynamic sql statement. Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    George

if you are adding hours to the sysdate then:

select sysdate+(1/24)
    into v_variable
    from dual;

if you want the hour dynamically you could maybe do:
    select sysdate+(v_num/24)
    into v_variable
    from dual;

would that work?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Interval

Thanks for the incredibly quick reply! And yes, that would work. I was just trying to avoid all of the convolutions for doing that because I will need to work with days, hours, minutes, seconds, etc. Using the interval option just made that so darn easy...well, until I tried to do it this way <grin>.

Thanks,
    George

you could convert everything to seconds in order to avoid anything weird ...

so sysdate plus 1 minute would be:

select sysdate+(60/86400)

the conversion would still get tricky for months since you would need to convert that to days then seconds.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

This is true. Thanks for the input. And yes, months would get pretty ugly! <grin>

Originally posted by The_Duck
    you could convert everything to seconds in order to avoid anything weird ...

so sysdate plus 1 minute would be:

select sysdate+(60/86400)

the conversion would still get tricky for months since you would need to convert that to days then seconds.

Well if your writing a function to add the interval then if it is months just use add_months().

Alan