Unanswered: MSSQLSERVER service will not start

I Have a server running win2k and sql server 2k We wook a power hit and the server comes back but sql will not start up.. The 2 services MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVER services are set for automaic but are not starting If i try a manual start it will not start. I also tried to use sql Service manager to start the server and it starts then stops right away. very puzzling.

I am new to SQL server 2k and not shure where to go form here.

win 2k server is on sp3 and sql is not patched.. I know that is bad and will get it fixed.
    I am wondering if i am hosed and have to reinstall.

ANy help would be great.

Thanks

Do the SQL logs and NT logs show anything?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Re: MSSQLSERVER service will not start

Originally posted by jh923
    I Have a server running win2k and sql server 2k We wook a power hit and the server comes back but sql will not start up.. The 2 services MSSQLSERVER and SQLSERVER services are set for automaic but are not starting If i try a manual start it will not start. I also tried to use sql Service manager to start the server and it starts then stops right away. very puzzling.

win 2k server is on sp3 and sql is not patched.. I know that is bad and will get it fixed.

ANy help would be great.

Thanks
    What id are you using for your SQLServerAgent? Is it admin and the paswword changed? If not admin, do you have policies in place to force password change. Is the Agent account licked out? Check the events log.

Re: MSSQLSERVER service will not start

Originally posted by jh923

ANy help would be great.

Thanks
    It is using the local system account
    the event log showed
    event it 17055
    description: Error: 9003, severity:20, State:1
    before description, there is a 18052

i cannnot look ate the sql logs becuse i cannot connect to it in enterprise manager

thanks

The SQL logs are text files that can be opened with notepad/wordpad

check out: http://dbforums.com/arch/71/2003/2/692910 looks like a similar problem
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

You can edit the Error.Log file from windows explorer.