Unanswered: Transaction log full

Hi All,

I am trying to run a UPDATE on a large table with 4 self-joins. But everytime I keep getting the message that the transaction log for the database is full.
    Even though I try to get rid of the log file with the foll statement "import from g:\message.txt of del replace into sample1" (which I got from dbforums) I still keep getting the error message and unable to complete the UPDATE statement.
    Can someone please help me with this...???

Shyam.

Re: Transaction log full

If you are trying to update a large table , details about every change is written to the transaction log ... By default, your transaction can span over a maximum of logprimary+logsecondary (these are db cfg parms) log files ... If you are on Version 8, setting logsecond to -1 and enabling logretain and/or userexit will allow infinite active logging ... In other words, you will not get this error ...

In your case, my suggestion will be to commit periodically, for which you can use a stored proc similar to one posted here

http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?t...17#post1715617

Or, if using the UPDATE Statement is the only option you have, increase the logprimary, logsecondary, logfilesz etc to suit your needs ...

BTW, IMPORTing from a blank file will clear the table without generating logs, which is the reason, that is a recommended way of deleting all records from a table ...

Cheers,

Sathyaram

Originally posted by shyams75
    Hi All,

I am trying to run a UPDATE on a large table with 4 self-joins. But everytime I keep getting the message that the transaction log for the database is full.
    Even though I try to get rid of the log file with the foll statement "import from g:\message.txt of del replace into sample1" (which I got from dbforums) I still keep getting the error message and unable to complete the UPDATE statement.
    Can someone please help me with this...???

Shyam.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.