Unanswered: MSDE-->Sql 2000 compatibility

Hi,

I'm developing on MSDE, intending to deploy on Sql 2000. Has anyone encountered any compatibilty problems between the two. Will tables and stored procs behave in exactly the same manner ?

There was a previous thread along similar lines:
    http://dbforums.com/showthread.php?t...highlight=msde

I do not have the problem mentioned in that thread. I am developing upfront with scripting in mind. Have a BAT file which recreates the entire database, using isql.

Andrew Schonberger

That's a strange way of doing it - it's usually the other way round.

You shouldn't find any problems doing this - msde is just like the personal edition without the client which is like the server edition with a few facilities removed (multi-processor, thread goverend, ...)

Thanks for your answer, I feel more comfortable now with MSDE. But you made a remark:

>> That's a strange way of doing it <<
    >> it's usually the other way round. <<

Coming from the Guru, this is certainly a sign of trouble. What do you have in mind ?

On reflection, it could well be my fault = I wrote stored procedures for years, and now I'm upsizing an Access Project. I've found the client tools on another CD, and I'm using isql with MSDE. Seems to be working.

Having a .BAT to recreate the database is an extra precaution. The database will eventually be deployed at a different location, and I will need to do it very fast, when time comes.

It's not a problem just that people usually develop using the full version of sql server (or developer/personal if on a workstation) and then want to distribute using msde.

Nigel,

Thanks for your answer. I'm fairly new with the Microsoft product line, but I've been doing client-server for a long time. Again, you made a remark which makes me cautious:

>> want to distribute using msde <<

My intention is to deliver a client-server application, where all users connect to the same instance of the relational database. So, we only intend to distribute the Access ADP file, but not the MSDE. Please let me know if this plan sounds feasible.

At this stage, the equipment and the infrastructure is not ready yet, that's why I'm developing on my home machine. Within a month, we'll go the full size with Sql 2000 server, and ten users (at most three running simultaneously) on the Lan. Will Sql 2000 fit the purpose ?

Needless to say, this started as a low-budget Access project, so compromises are possible. BTW: I'm delighted with the small footprint of MSDE. I'm also impressed with the client tools, and the programmer -friendly features MS has added to the old Sybase Transact-Sql.