Unanswered: Set @local VS Select @local

In the article "SELECT @local_variable" SQL Server BOL recommends that SET be used to initialize local variables and that multiple SET statements should be used to populate multiple variables instead of using one SELECT with a list of variables. There is a pointer to see "SET @local_variable" for more information. While there are differences in the behavior of each method neither article explains the reasoning behind this recommendation to use SET vs SELECT. I would appreciate it if anyone could provide some additional info on this.

Re: Set @local VS Select @local

Sounds difficult and complicated, but it isn't.

SET @Local_Variable assigns a value to your @Local_Variable; the first time it's an initialization, too.

SELECT displays the value of @Local_Variable
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler! - A. Einstein
    DB Problems? DB Explorer, BTrieve Re-engineering, DB Conversions & ETL? Conversion Tool

Provided Answers: 1
    It is more complicated.

EFord is talking about the use of SELECT to assign values. Here is a code sample:

declare @Local int
    set @Local = 1
    select @Local
    select @Local = 2
    select @Local

Result set:
    -----------

-----------

I wasn't able to find anything as to why SET is better than SELECT, but I would hazard a guess that using SELECT might invoke unnecesarrily invoke the optimizer, while SET would not. Personally, I think distinguishing SET from SELECT just makes the code more readable.

blindman

I curious about the answer too.

I think what EFord ment was during initialization we can do it 2 ways:

set @test1=(select test1 from table1)
    set @test2=(select test2 from table1)

select @test1,@test2

or

select @test1=test1,@test2=test2 from table1

select @test1,@test2

Posted the message about the same time as blindman, so we had almost identical explantions, but I like to ask 1 more question

Why would 'set' be better if I can just use a 1 line select statement to initialize my @ variables. Saves me the hassle to code too many "sets".

Last edited by Patrick Chua; 08-18-03 at 14:49.
    Patrick Chua
    LBMS ( Learn By My Self) NPQ ( No paper Qualification )

There appears to be no difference in utilization of server resources between SET and SELECT as far as assigning a value to a local variable.

Both statements yield 2 memory reads and optimizer is not participating in SELECT.

But I would agree with blindman that the code looks "more readable."