Arrow Unanswered: DB2 Upgrade V5 to V7

O/S : AIX 5.x
    UDB : DB2 UDB

Hi guys: we are in the process of upgrading couple of our server from V5 to V7. My question: what happens to the client? will they notice any problem? They are running on V5 as well.

dollar

Re: DB2 Upgrade V5 to V7

Technically, there will not be any problem ...

But you need to really test it ...

BTW, you will have to bind the V5 client packages against the server, ie, if v5tov7 is the migrated database, then from the v5 client

db2 connect to v5tov7
    db2 bind @~/sqllib/bnd/db2cli.lst blocking all grant public
    db2 bind @~/sqllib/bnd/db2ubind.lst blocking all grant public

For the server, if you have any embedded SQL programs, make sure for the new instance, you link-edit them with the /usr/lpp/db2_07_01/lib/libdb2.a

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dollar489
    O/S : AIX 5.x
    UDB : DB2 UDB

Hi guys: we are in the process of upgrading couple of our server from V5 to V7. My question: what happens to the client? will they notice any problem? They are running on V5 as well.

dollar
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thanks Sathyaram, I value your advice. I am thinking along the same line want just wanted to confirm. My advice to the server group was to upgrade all the clients to V7 as well. But we have some applications still accessing V5 databases. So if V5 client can access V7 database server we are more than happy.

dollar

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Technically, there will not be any problem ...

But you need to really test it ...

BTW, you will have to bind the V5 client packages against the server, ie, if v5tov7 is the migrated database, then from the v5 client

db2 connect to v5tov7
    db2 bind @~/sqllib/bnd/db2cli.lst blocking all grant public
    db2 bind @~/sqllib/bnd/db2ubind.lst blocking all grant public

For the server, if you have any embedded SQL programs, make sure for the new instance, you link-edit them with the /usr/lpp/db2_07_01/lib/libdb2.a

HTH

Sathyaram

If you have V5 instances running, do not upgrade the clients .... V7 clients cannot access a v5 instance

[v7inst]$db2 connect to v5inst

SQL5048N The release level of the database client is not supported by the
    release level of the database server.

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dollar489
    Thanks Sathyaram, I value your advice. I am thinking along the same line want just wanted to confirm. My advice to the server group was to upgrade all the clients to V7 as well. But we have some applications still accessing V5 databases. So if V5 client can access V7 database server we are more than happy.

dollar
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.