Question Unanswered: Linking Access & Outlook

Hi,

I have to link Access & Outlook
    We have a lot of contacts and we're getting tired of editing contacts @ 2 spots

That's why we were wondering if there's a possibility of linking Access & Outlook.

If there is a possibility to do this. How can I accomplish it? and is there a guide to do so?

I'm a beginner and just started working with databases so any help is welcome.

thanks in advance

kind regards,

Justin

You could simply export your contacts from outlook right into a table in your access database. This works very well, but I'm not sure how automated a solution you need.

well that probably won't be enough
    I already tried this yesterday after I posted this message
    with the export function from outlook I always have to import it

what I need is a system that will change the information automaticly once it has been edited either outlook or access...

Re: Linking Access & Outlook

Not sure which version of office you are using but here's a link that might help for Office 2000.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;260410

If you are using Access 97 there is a free addin called wzmapi80.exe that enables you to link Access to your contact tables in exchange. I assume that there is one for 2000 and XP. Its easier as any updating in one alters the other.

Paul

Thumbs up

we're using office 2000
    do you have any info where I can find this file for office 2000?

For more information have a look on Microsofts website for knowledge base article Q176702. Here you will find the download and any supporting documentation. We are about to upgrade to Access 2002 and hope to use this application in these upgraded databases.

Done some more research and found this. Its not my work so I'll give credit to one DougP. Here goes his solution.

You can have any item in the Outlook Personal Folders, show as a linked table in Access 2000
    This only works by default in Outlook 2000 and Access 2000.
    It works in the other versions of Outlook like '98 and Access '97 if you download certain plug-ins at microsoft.com.

First of all:
    You have to know the location of the Outlook .PST file on your hardrive. To do this:
    Open Outlook and "Pretend" like you want to Import a .pst file.
    1. Click "File" menu "Import and Export"
    2. In the list Highlight "Import from another file or Program"
    3. Click "Next" button
    4. In this list Highlight "Personal File Folder (.pst)"
    5. Click "Next" button
    6. Now if you have not imported a file ever. Then the "File to Import" box will have the full drive and path where your current .pst is.
    Note the location or copy and paste it to Notepad.
    7. Click Cancel cause we are not really importing anything.
    Note: If your .pst file is not where that box was looking then you have to find it manually in Windows Explorer.
    8. Look in Outlook for the exact folder you want to import.
    Note the name and remember it. This is the name of the folder you want to Link in Access.

9. This in the Access portion of the Link.
    10. Open Access
    11. Click the "Tables" TAB
    12. Right click in the white space.
    13. Left Click "Link Tables"
    14. At the bottom in the "Files of Type" Look for "Exchange()" and click it.
    15. An Outlook Wizard dialog box will pop up.
    16. This is a list of all main folders in your "Outlook" , everyones will be different.
    17. In my case I have "Address Book" and "Personal Folders"
    18. Click the little Plus sign in front of the folder you want to view and it will expand just like Windows Explorer folders.
    19. Hightlight the folder you want to Link.
    20. Click "Next" button
    21. Key in a new name or leave the default.
    22. In may case I would click "Finish" button. You may have more, click Next until done.

That's it you should see you Linked folder in the Tables TAB
    Notice it has a little black arrow in front of it. That means it's linked.
    Now you can use it just like any other Table, make queries form, reports, what ever.

Becasue it's linked any changes you make in Outlook will show up in Access. Deleted items will be gone new items will show. etc.

Paul

Talking

thnx

not all fields are present

Dear all,

I can successfully link my Outlook Contacts folder to Access, but when I open the table, I notice that some of the fields are missing - birthday, spouse, anniversary, etc.

Any idea why that is the case?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If I remember right (and this is a long time ago I did this !!) it is something to do with custom fields and exchange priviliges. I will check with our exchange expert and see if he can remember.

Paul