Unanswered: Many-to-many Relationships

I have been unsuccessful at finding someone elsewhere who can answer this question for me, so I'll try here. I need to create a many-to-many relationship in an Access 2000 (or '97 if not possible in 2000) DB, using VB code or SQL. I would prefer to do this using ADOX, but at this point, I'll take anything that works. So far, I have been unsuccessful at doing this, and receive errors that "there is no unique index in the primary table" when I try to create a many-to-many relationship. The need to do so is mostly a result of poor DB design by someone before my time, but at this point I can't change the DB format.

I'm sure that there must be some way to do this because Access will allow you to create a many to many relationship in the Relationships design screen (Tools, Relationships) by unchecking the "Enforce Referential Integrity" box. I just need to figure out how to do this in code.

Anybody have any ideas?

Have a look at the following example.

Use a junction table as described in the example

http://www.gj.thorpe.btinternet.co.u...y_to_many.html

Hope this helps
    JJ Kennedy
    Double J IT Solutions
    www.doublejit.co.nz

VB 6, VB.NET, ASP.NET, MS SQL Server, MySQL, MS Access

That would work, but...

That would certainly work, and I've already thought of that option, but unfortunately I cannot change the format of the database right now. I fact, if I could, I would redesign it so that it would have the proper primary keys and be normalized, thereby eliminating the problem altogether. Any other ideas?

if you "cannot change the format of the database," could you please describe what you want to do? adding a relationship is changing the database

access does accept DDL (data definition language) to create primary and foreign keys, which you can submit via odbc or whatever -- but i gather this is not what you want?

rudy
    http://r937.com/

In actuality, I am trying to create a structural copy of a current database implementation in code. I can do everything I need to except create the many-to-many relationships. I am not at liberty to "change" the format of the database by adding new tables. I simply want to be able to structurally create the same database programatically. So what I "want to do," is as I said before, create a many-to-many relationship.

can you give an example of the many-to-many relationship that you're trying to structurally create?

i bet there's three tables involved, the middle one being the "junction" table that machado mentioned

if not, i would like to see this many-to-many relationship myself

please give examples of rows with key values, even if they aren't defined as actual primary and foreign keys, i would like to see the values and see how they relate as values

are you familiar with DDL?