Thread: Massive insert

Unanswered: Massive insert

I have a list of contactID's in one table and and need to insert all of them into another table with vbscript I could just do a loop, but how would I do it in sql?

INSERT INTO HISTORY (ContactID, Subject, Body, DateStart, UserID) VALUES ('" & cid & "', '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '7/15/03', '4')
    "Everything is possible, somethings are just less likely then others"

Provided Answers: 1
    This is much easier in TSQL than VB, becuase this is what TSQL is designed for. No loops required!

INSERT INTO HISTORY (ContactID, Subject, Body, DateStart, UserID)
    Select ContactID, Subject, Body, DateStart, UserID
    From [YourSourceTable]

The VALUES method is only one method of inserting data, and is a poor second choice to using a select statement as the recordsource.

blindman

From [YourSourceTable]

So what about the text I want to put into it

From [YourSourceTable]

where does
    '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '7/15/03', '4'
    fit into the picture?

If you run this query

From [YourSourceTable]

like blindman suggested, what do you get? Becuase what you receive as returning values is what will be inserted into the table, if you have 50,000 rows in your table, all 50,000 rows will be inserted into the table you specify in your insert condition.

Also, if you are doing a massive update watch your tran log, inserts, updates and deletes are logged operations and can bloat your T-log unless you are using a simple recovery mode. If in your desired insert you are placing the data in a new table, you might run a select into instead of an insert as it is minimally logged. Syntax would be:

select ContactID, Subject, Body, DateStart, UserID into newtable
    From [YourSourceTable]

a Select into has to be into a table that has not been created as the select into creates the table for you.

HTH
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

<dime light going on over head> Ah, I think I have it...

Code:
    Select ContactID,'2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '7/15/03', '4'
    From [YourSourceTable]
    Originally posted by ghornet
    From [YourSourceTable]

So what about the text I want to put into it

From [YourSourceTable]

where does
    '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '2003 5th Wheel Show N Sell Mailer', '7/15/03', '4'
    fit into the picture?
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

worked great

Simple enough thank you very very much. I do have another question I have a bunch of address's some are abbreviated (st) and some are not n(state) I would like to write a stored procedure or a sql function that I can state a table and a column to run it on a and it will take all of the abbreviations and make them long. Also is there anyway to undo an action in SQL say I accidently made a bunch of inserts I was'nt suppose to.. (not that I did (; ) there is no easy undo last statement right. Thanks for the help

D--

restore last transaction log, if you were backing it up...if not, - last full/incremental back, same condition

ghornet,

What you are looking for now is called an UPDATE query.

Take a look in Books On Line for syntax and usage of SELECT, INSERT, and UPDATE, and become familiar with them because they will be 90% of what you do with SQL.

blindman

I know update

I know that I can use update ok for example I want to update all of the St is my address field I can use

UPDATE contacts set Address = replace(Address, " St ", "Street")

This works ok if St is in the middle of the address if it is at the end it won't pick it up so maybe something like this will work

UPDATE contacts set Address = replace(Address, " St", "Street")

There are about 15 or so abbrevations ln, dr, pl and I am consistly getting lists of abbreviated address's so I need some kind of stored procedure, function or even a DTS that would allow me to put the table and the column into a variable so I can run the script on any table I want. Is this the best way to do this, using the replace function and place it in a stored procedure.

D--

You probably need to start looking into your WHERE clause more closely. Your REPLACE(Address, ' St', 'Street') may inadvertantly cause addresses that contain ' st' with words like 'steep', 'stone', etc. to be replaced with 'Street'. Is it a one-time or on-going process?

hopefully won't be

Hopefully won't be an ongoing process, but I am sure that it is going to be that is why I want to create a little script that will correct this problem.

D--

The only safe way to do this is to write multiple lines of code that clean up different data issues. Like this for starters:

UPDATE contacts set Address = replace(Address, ' St ', 'Street')
    UPDATE contacts set Address = replace(Address, ' St', 'Street') where right(Address, 2) = 'St'

Store the code in a cleanup script as you create it, and backup your table before running it. That way, you can easily modify the code, restore the table, run the new code, and then lickety split you are back to where you were before your inadvertently changed '123 St Christopher Lane' to '123 Street Christopher Lane'

blindman