Unanswered: Updating Users in Enterprise Manager

I searched for an entry on this, but I did not find one.

We script all of our users in the database through the front end. Occasionally, the script encounters a problem and I will manually update a users rights using EM. I have never had any problem doing this before. Today, however, I encountered problems when going through the SQL Server Login Properties page (under Logins in Security). When I clicked OK, it prompted me for the password, even though I had not changed the password. When I entered the user's correct password, it rejected the change saying that the passwords did not match.

First off, I do not ever recall seeing the prompt before (unless I had changed the user's password). Secondly, what gives with the error message that the passwords do not match????

Additional Notes:
    1. I tested it on three different servers with identical results.
    2. I am running SQL Server 2000 SP3 with the latest security update (the one just released in July)
    3. I am running Windows 2000 SP4 with the latest patches
    4. I last recall successfully changing a user account sometime in June (about 6 weeks ago). Like I said, it doesn't happen too often that I use the back end to do this.

I WAS able to go into the database(s) involved and make the necessary changes there. The changes went through with no trouble at all.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

I feel like something else is missing in your question. I just tested the actions that you describe on a server with the same build as yours and had no problem. The GUI in the EM is actually executing the master.dbo.sp_***'s. Have you tried to run them in QA? You may get a better idea of what is going on.

Is it possible for your users to change their own password through your GUI? Maybe the user's real password is different than the one you are entering (case, etc)...
    -bpd

I will try this tomorrow, but I'm not convinced it will reveal anything. I suspect something is up in the GUI. I ran an additional test after poting this thread. I updated my user account; editing the password as I did so. I then clicked okay and the changes were accepted. I then edited the same account again WITHOUT modifying the password and I was still prompted to confirm the password change. When I entered the correct password, it rejected the change saying the passwords did not match.

This did not use to happen. The things that have changed since I know that I was able to last edit users normally are:

1. Installed Windows SP4 plus post SP4 updates.
    2. Installed Update to SQL server that was released in July (I'm not sure if this was SP3a or not; I'm still doing additional research).

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    I feel like something else is missing in your question. I just tested the actions that you describe on a server with the same build as yours and had no problem. The GUI in the EM is actually executing the master.dbo.sp_***'s. Have you tried to run them in QA? You may get a better idea of what is going on.

I found this on MS' site. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826161.

For a while, I thought I was going crazy.

Regards,

Hugh Scott

Originally posted by hmscott
    I will try this tomorrow, but I'm not convinced it will reveal anything. I suspect something is up in the GUI. I ran an additional test after poting this thread. I updated my user account; editing the password as I did so. I then clicked okay and the changes were accepted. I then edited the same account again WITHOUT modifying the password and I was still prompted to confirm the password change. When I entered the correct password, it rejected the change saying the passwords did not match.

This did not use to happen. The things that have changed since I know that I was able to last edit users normally are:

1. Installed Windows SP4 plus post SP4 updates.
    2. Installed Update to SQL server that was released in July (I'm not sure if this was SP3a or not; I'm still doing additional research).

Premier support pays off, huh?! Untill I read the KB article I was thinking that you are using some other GUI. Oh well, now we all know!