Angry Unanswered: The Page Cannot Be Displayed

Hi folks,

Ive a page working perfectly when the query requested for it is small, but when its a large query (working with SQL Server Connection), after approximaticly 90 minutos I get the message error "The page cannot be displayed.". The point here is that I have the scriptTimeout unlimited and the problem continuous.. do you have any idea what it can be?!

The page also has Response.buffer true and I can see the page working without problem until the message error appears.

Im sure that I dont have any problem with my query and anything similar with the code.

It looks like IIS "problem" to me... do you have any idea?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex Berenguer

can we see your SQL string? Ive had them fill up over a page in query analyzer and it worked fine still...

not that I don't believe you but this sounds like a coding problem to me.

did you try not connecting to the db and see how long the page takes to run? what about connecting yet not displaying anything? mabye you're caught in a loop (good ol forgeting RS.movenext)?
    Last edited by unatratnag; 08-19-03 at 22:23.

Thanks for your help unatratnag, but the point is that the page is working perfectly when running with a small query, the query created depends of the a session variable. Im sure the code isnt getting looping. Take a look at the bit code:

'it opens a connection with the Analysis Services

Set cat = server.CreateObject("ADOMD.Catalog")
    Set cst = server.CreateObject("ADOMD.CellSet")
    cat.ActiveConnection = "Data Source='" & srvAS & "';Initial Catalog='" & appName & "';Provider='msolap';Execution Location=3;Client Cache Size=0;Secured Cell Value=3;"

'it executes the mdxQuery (A simple query)
    cst.Source = mdxQuery
    set cst.ActiveConnection = cat.ActiveConnection
    cst.Open

In the page I do a looping with N queries openning and closing each one and so one.

The problem here isnt the connection or query because with n queries getting less than 90 minutes, it is working without any problem but if the page has N queries getting more than 90 minutes, the IIS returns the message error as the subject.

Each loop done, I show in the page a message to see if it is working correctly and it is... the page gets the process step by step correctly. (Sure Im using response.buffer true for it)

Another thing is that Im using a Relational and Multidimensional connection in the page, but again, it is working perfectly when running with less 90 minutes approximately.

I couldnt see any timeout attribute like it at IIS Configurations.

Thank you so much any help,
    Alex Berenguer
    Brazil

Hi johnny, I see/understand your point, but my point was that maybe when you started getting to bigger queries that maybe you messed upsomething or where joining this and that creating long load times, but if you're confident it works i'll go with you.

In the page I do a looping with N queries openning and closing each one and so one
    You have an active connection so I don't think you're actually opening and closeing the database each time. It's just one constant connection.

This has to be one hell of a query / program to have an active connection open for 90 minutes. I've never heard of an autoshut off of 90 minutes in IIS but I don't understand how that would be an IIS issue.... I'd look into your SQL settings to see if it autoshuts off connections of greater then 90 minutes to preserve resources. I'd also look at your analysis services, i've never used it / even heard of it so i'm not sure exactly what it does but it might autoclose the connection to after 90 minutes.

In the off chance it is IIS, it will write it to the logs. If it's closing for this or that reason. And if not, check the event logs to make sure, If something's autoclosing your connection of failing, it will be in there.

hope this can get you looking in the right direction

Talking

Yes! unatratnag, you got it perfectly, thank you again.

You are right, I am with you now, so, Im looking for SQL or AS limits... you gave me good ideas, I have new ways to check now.... and it looks like to be the problem reason, Ill check them...

thank you so much!!!!

Have a good week,
    Alex Berenguer
    Brazil