Unanswered: Best way to backup a database,

Hi,

Does anyone have a preference on how they back up their database?

Currently I do it via a SQL Server Agent Job, that runs some T-SQL to backup the system database, and backup the user databases and transaction logs (where appropriate).

I was thinking about moving this to a VBScript for the reason that it will allow me to (easily) write to a log and email the relevant people (i.e. if a backup succeeds or fails).

Question is, in SQL (T-SQL), is there an easy way to write to a text file, and send out an email? (does sendmail require outlook to be installed on the server?)

Thanks again!.

You can set up your backups through Enterprise Manager. When you enable a schedule for the backup, the backup is added as a job. For that job you can setup notifications eg mail and adding results to the application log.
    To send mails, sql server needs a mapi compliant mail program, which can be Outlook.
    Johan

I do my backups with a T-SQL script. You can send emails from the script using xp_sendmail. Why write a text file log? You can write to a database table instead, which can provide a lot more functionality for a logviewer GUI.

Instead of doing incremental backups of my larger databases (which get progressively larger), I write a complete backup everyday to a network disk that has seperate folders for each day. I also do a shrink and translog truncate before the backup runs. Here's my script for the backup step:

DECLARE @day_of_week VARCHAR(15),
    @server_name VARCHAR(25),
    @db_location_string VARCHAR(128),
    @log_location_string VARCHAR(128),
    @database_name VARCHAR(128)

DECLARE database_cursor CURSOR FOR
    SELECT [name] as DBNAME FROM sysdatabases
    WHERE [name] NOT IN ('master', 'model', 'msdb', 'tempdb')

SET @day_of_week=DATENAME(dw, GETDATE())
    SET @server_name=@@SERVERNAME

OPEN database_cursor
    FETCH NEXT FROM database_cursor INTO @database_name

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS=0
    BEGIN
    SET @db_location_string='\\myServer\SQL Backups\' + @day_of_week + '\SQL\' + @server_name + '\' + @database_name + '.bak'
    SET @log_location_string='\\myServer\SQL Backups\' + @day_of_week + '\SQL\' + @server_name + '\' + @database_name + '_log.bak'
    BACKUP DATABASE @database_name TO DISK = @db_location_string WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = @database_name, NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT
    --BACKUP LOG @database_name TO DISK = @log_location_string WITH NOINIT , NOUNLOAD , NAME = @database_name, NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT
    FETCH NEXT FROM database_cursor INTO @database_name
    END
    CLOSE database_cursor
    DEALLOCATE database_cursor
    -bpd

Oh, if you don;t have your server set up for SQL Mail, which is, frankly, a pain, you can add a VBScript step to your back job that sends mail using the CDONTS object.

Configure your backup step to on failure, go to the send mail step, otherwise skip it.
    -bpd

Thanks for the advice.

All suggestions taken on board.

bpdWork:

Thank you so much for sharing your sql script. I might be able to use that in a new backup plan I am working on. One question, however, and I know this is asking a lot. Do you have another script that will restore all these databases?

Thanks
    Tom

nevermind that last question, it was too easy!

Thanks
    Tommy