Unanswered: Fix pack for Db2 Version 8 on Aix ver 5

Hi All,

I have DB2 8.1 version on AIX version 5.

When I issue the command db2level I get the following :

DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "32" bits and DB2 code release "SQL08010"
    with level identifier "01010106".
    Informational tokens are "DB2 v8.1.0.0", "s021023", "", and FixPak "0".
    Product is installed at "/usr/opt/db2_08_01".

Do I need to have an fix pack installed at this stage.

Any suggestions/ideas/advise will be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Hi,

You haven't installed any fixes for DB2. I advice you to install fixes. I work with Linux on S/390 and fixpack 2 has some major performance improvements. Now it is also available fixpack 3...

You can find fixes at: http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...ist.d2w/report

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty

If you are in a critical phase of development and will be going to production in the next 2-3 months, I suggest you not to go to FP3 ... It is generally better to stay at the latest fixpack - 1 on production, unless you have any particular fix in the latest one

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by grofaty
    Hi,

You haven't installed any fixes for DB2. I advice you to install fixes. I work with Linux on S/390 and fixpack 2 has some major performance improvements. Now it is also available fixpack 3...

You can find fixes at: http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...ist.d2w/report

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    If you are in a critical phase of development and will be going to production in the next 2-3 months, I suggest you not to go to FP3 ... It is generally better to stay at the latest fixpack - 1 on production, unless you have any particular fix in the latest one

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Why is it better to stay in fixpack 1 level and not to migrate to fixpack3??? I have never heard something like this!

Grofaty
    Last edited by grofaty; 08-20-03 at 07:50.

Thanks to all of you for your immediate response.

Grofaty, Sorry for not being clear ..

It is one level below the latest fixpack .. ie, currently it is Fixpack 3 , so it is good to stay at Fixpack 2 in production... If there are any major bugs in the latest fixpack (as it was in V7 FP2 ) you will know it and can later decide whether you really want to go to that level ....

But if you are in development and will be moving to prod, say 4-5 months, then use the latest fixpack .... So, if you find any problems, you can go down a level of get workarounds, patches etc , which are acceptable in dev

This is no rule ... It is just a cautious approach many suggest for prod systems ... I have heard that even IBM support engineers say this, unofficially, ofcourse

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by grofaty
    Why is it better to stay in fixpack 1 level and not to migrate to fixpack3??? I have never heard something like this!

Grofaty
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Hi,

Excelent point!!!

At the time of V7 FP2 I had installed this fixpack and then it was redrawn. I had applied this fixpack in production environment and it worked for me with no problems, but I was nervous because something unexpected could happend...

Grofaty

You may want to be carefull with DB2 v8 FP2, has a major bug that if you use more that 2 gig worth of swap space it can cause your DB to crash, this same bug is in db2 v7 FP9. Supposed to be fixed in FP10 for v7 and FP3 for v8