Unanswered: Import Text File into Access

I have a slight problem and hope someone may have come across this before or has any ideas.

I currently receive text files (output from an unknown database type) and then I import them into Access or a similiar app?

Problem: The text files are delimited and delimiter spacing is inconsistent; Have no consistent table structure i.e. the rows of data are not consistent in length or content; Data origin is input from an electronic form but I do not have the database to get the data out (yes I know would help and be muck easier)...
    The data is imported into Access and a number different columns and rows not what I expect is the outcome. HELP!! It takes alot of manual effort to format and track the missing

If anyone has any clue of what I am on about and could assist I would appreciate it.

Thanx...

Dusty

Is it possible that the files are TAB delimited?
    Peter De Baets
    Peter's Software - Microsoft Access Tools for Developers
    http://www.peterssoftware.com

Smile Import Text File into Access

Originally posted by pdebaets
    Is it possible that the files are TAB delimited?
    Hi Peter,

Firstly ... great website!! Many tools and useful apps to enhance Access DB's.

The text is pipe delimited and where the pipe has a space (gap) between them I have figured out that this is a column in the database that will be used for other data when imported. So as the data I am receiving is in the specific column of the pipe delimited format, I will need to look into exporting the data from the text file into a more logical sequence of columns so I may create a more user/printable friendly format.

I am yet to find any tools which will do this easily without alot of labourious setup and mouse intervention - cutting'n'pasting gets very tedious.

Does anyone know of a tool that will do this easily? Setup is not the issue as it is expected when working with variable length text imports.

All advice muchly appreciated!!

Thanx... Dusty

I get several files every morning from our legacy system that are pipe delimited. I use VBA to open the files, read 1 line at a time, and populate the correct tables in my database. It's worked very well for about 10 years, as long as the file format stays consistent.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Thumbs up Import Text File into Access

Originally posted by RedNeckGeek
    I get several files every morning from our legacy system that are pipe delimited. I use VBA to open the files, read 1 line at a time, and populate the correct tables in my database. It's worked very well for about 10 years, as long as the file format stays consistent.
    Thanx RNG,

I will investigate and see how it works for me.

Cheers...

Dusty