Question Unanswered: unable to create report with other users in db

Hi y'all!

We have the following setup here:

main server that holds the main Access 2000 database. Clients from all over the intranet open can access that db.

Now for the problem:

User A has the db open and is not in design mode. Righ now she isn't doing anything. Not changing data or what not. She only has it open. Now user B opens the db in design mode and wants to create a new report. But: she is not able to do so!!

When I went through the archives of various forums and such I found a lot about the wizard not being able to creat a report, but nothing that comes close to my problem.

Does anyone have an idea what the cause of this is? Is it a bug or a 'feature' or a setup prob on my part?

Thanks!!!

HG

It is actually a feature. In order to enter a design mode the db must be opened in exclusive mode.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

Red face

It's just another wonderful "fix" that they put into 2000!
    You could do this in A97!
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Yes... "fix"... It's quite annoying, but... what would happen if anyone could enter design mode and change things in a form while another user has it opened? It's annoying but probably safer in a multiuser enviroment...
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

I would not recommend allowing your users to modify your main Access database. There is a possiblility that something could be messed up and then everyone that uses that database is affected.

You may want to think about having a separate "user-defined reports" database (with linked tables to your master database) that can be used for ad-hoc reporting. Once an ad-hoc report is stabilized, it can be promoted to your main Access database.

Other reasons to go this route is you won't have to compact and repair the main Access database as often, and there will be less of a chance of main Access database corruption.

Hope this helps,
    Peter De Baets
    Peter's Software - Microsoft Access Tools for Developers
    http://www.peterssoftware.com

Originally posted by Marco Del Corno
    Yes... "fix"... It's quite annoying, but... what would happen if anyone could enter design mode and change things in a form while another user has it opened? It's annoying but probably safer in a multiuser enviroment...
    Might be a silly thing: I don't want to change an existing report, but create a new one. So there is now way somebody else is using it...

Why does Acces not allow that?

Later

HG