Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Unanswered: access to DB2 UDB

Our DBA has been hospitalized. We have an evaluation copy of DB2 UDB version 8.1 and have invested time and energy to create a database for trial, comparison and evaluation purposes. There are two databases WCB and SAMPLE. I need to access the userid and passwords for them. Can someone help me? Short of redoing all the work the DBA has done or somehow deciphering the userid/passwords in system files, I cannot think of any other solution.

Re: access to DB2 UDB

You are fortunate ...

DB2 does not store userids/passwords inside its database .... Rather it uses the operating system's security mechanisms to authenticate the user and bases its authorizations on the operating system's userid and groupname ...

hence, logon to the system as a valid user and try accessing the database ..

db2 connect to sample

If on windows, logon as administrator and if on Unix, logon as the instance owner userid ...

On windows, if you have problems with adminsitrator, do
    db2 get dbm cfg | find "SYSADM"

You should find a value against sysadm_group ..... Logon as a user belonging to the group, and there you go , you have all authorities in the instance ... If you do not know the password for any user in the group, change the password, but remember to change the password in the Services for DB2 instance owner service ..

Hope this information is useful

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by bc_nat
    Our DBA has been hospitalized. We have an evaluation copy of DB2 UDB version 8.1 and have invested time and energy to create a database for trial, comparison and evaluation purposes. There are two databases WCB and SAMPLE. I need to access the userid and passwords for them. Can someone help me? Short of redoing all the work the DBA has done or somehow deciphering the userid/passwords in system files, I cannot think of any other solution.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

when I try db2 connect to sample within comand center

it prompts me for userid and password which I don't have

when I try db2 connect to sample at DOS prompt

it says DB21061I Command line environment not initialized

when I try

db2 get dbm cfg | find "SYSADM"

I get nothing back or

if I leave off the find SYSADM it says

DB21061I Command line environment not initialized

help ??? please

If helpful I am running on an XP box with adminstrator privileges

If helpful I am running on an XP box with adminstrator privileges
    bc_nat

ok since you are the admin on that box, try doing the following from the command line

db2 connect to <dbname> user <youradminusername> using <youradminpassword>

try this first see if your admin/Windows credentials will let you connect to the db.

Second the reason that the control center is asking you for the username and password is that on the services the db2 modules are using a different login information that the one you are using, I will advice you to change them.

shutdown the DB2 services and change the Login information , that way when you log in as an Admin of that XP box then the modules will be ok.

my 2 cents

marcos oliva

From the command line type in db2cmd ... this will open a new window ... (Title will be DB2 CLP) ...

Try the db2 command from there ..

ie

db2 connect to sample user <userid> using <password>

etc

marcos suggestion is a technically a very good one .... But, IMHO, as you are a beginner, I suggest you do not make any changes to the environment ... Any errors will become more difficult to identify

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I get

no start database manager command was issued SQL1032N

From command line issue

db2start

Before that, can you check SYSADM Group and see if the current logged in user belongs to that group

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    I get

no start database manager command was issued SQL1032N

on a second try I get

attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "24"

thanks for your assistance ... feels like I am getting a touch closer

Is it for db2start or connect to command ?

If it is for db2start, ensure you have admin rights and change the login user/password to a valid combination (marcus oliva's suggestion)

By the way , 24 is userid/password invalid ....

Cheers
    Sathyaram

on a second try I get

attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "24"

thanks for your assistance ... feels like I am getting a touch closer

db2start says the database is already active

where do I check the SYSADM group or how? I am not a DBA and not very familiar with DB@ UDB toolset -- looked around Command, Health, Control and development centers

I have found nothing or seen nothing that shows me a list of users, group and security.... I am used to SYSTEM tables on a VM machine,

any command I enter in the Command center goes off for some elapsed time then always says attempt to establish connection failed with reason code 24

I cannot even seem to access the prepackaged SAMPLE database..??

what am I missing? tried searching in IBM manuals and online forums

the db2start returns with already active

the connect returns with reason 24...

I was able to find that yesterday.. but I knew all the user ids and passwords I were guessing might be wrong - so the reason 24 is no surprise. I am trying to get around it - establish myself as a user or even create a new database which at this point it will not let me do..

thanks

ensure you have admin rights and change the login user/password to a valid combination (marcus oliva's suggestion)

how would I do this? I can't tell what rights I have because it always prompts for userid and password before any action is taken.

If it asks, please give a valid OS user id and password ... Normally, if it has been installed on XP, it will be db2admin ...

Cheers

Sathyaram

ensure you have admin rights and change the login user/password to a valid combination (marcus oliva's suggestion)

how would I do this? I can't tell what rights I have because it always prompts for userid and password before any action is taken.

db2admin / db2admin gives me the same reason 24 - invalid user/password

I have also tried the OS userid and password of my login and it does not work either