Unanswered: Stupid Import/Export Question

Ok, this sounds really basic but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere - when you do a FULL import, does it drop/recreate all the existing objects? Or do you have to explicitly do this yourself?

I want to refresh an existing test database with and export dump from another database. Do I need to drop and recreate the instance/database first or can I just directly load into it?

THANKS

If it's a test database, I would suggest it's a good idea to drop all objects in the scema first anyway - otherwise you could have old objects hanging around and being used in tests which don't or shouldn't actually exist.

Hth
    Bill

Re: Stupid Import/Export Question

Originally posted by jayharper
    Ok, this sounds really basic but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere - when you do a FULL import, does it drop/recreate all the existing objects? Or do you have to explicitly do this yourself?

I want to refresh an existing test database with and export dump from another database. Do I need to drop and recreate the instance/database first or can I just directly load into it?

THANKS
    Jay,

Words of wisdom: rebuild from the ground up!

And actually this is one that you should do for disaster recovery prep and tuning plans . I have built a series of scripts and batch files that deletes the test instance and then builds every file, rollback segment, and imports the data and even re-adds the roles for the end-users. The only thing that I need to change when I want to rebuild my test is my 'import.par' file. (I dump the DB into 640MB files with the dump date in the filename and are dated as to when they were dumped. PROD_20030820_A.dmp, PROD_20030820_B.dmp, ..., PROD_20030820_E.dmp )

The other one I run into is that our database is so large that as it builds, I actually get many extents in the SYS and SYSTEM tables. I've had to tune the SQL.BSQ file. (NOTE: Tuning the SQL.BSQ is bad juju according to Oracle. This is not advised for the faint of heart or on a production database w/o testing. I do not advise, recommend or encourage anyone to do anything to SQL.BSQ that they would not do to a family member. That gets that disclaimer out of the way. )

This is just my $0.02. The choice is yours though.
    Jim P.

Supoorting Oracle, MSSQL7, Sybase 8, & Pervasive. Confusion Reigns

Originally posted by billm
    If it's a test database, I would suggest it's a good idea to drop all objects in the scema first anyway - otherwise you could have old objects hanging around and being used in tests which don't or shouldn't actually exist.

Hth
    Bill
    Is there a script or equivalent in OEM to drop all objects in an instance? I would prefer to rebuild from scratch but this is a vendor provided test database from years back (Oracle 7) and I don't want to screw up a rebuild by piecing together a create script from scratch. (or alternatively, is there an easy way to build a create script from scratch?

THANKS