Unanswered: argument in TransferText methos

I am trying to import a text file into Access 2000(.adp) using the following command:
    DoCmd.TransferText [transfertype][, specificationname], tablename, filename[, hasfieldnames][, HTMLtablename][, codepage]

All the arguments are straight forward except for the second argument, specificationName. What does it referring to? Is there a file I should create first?

Re: argument in TransferText methos

It sets the guidelines for how the text is imported. If you manually import the text first hand using by right clicking in the database window and select import you can create a specification in access. After selecting the file you plan on importing, the import text wizard will come up. Select the Advanced button at the bottom. Fill out all the information that will properly import the text file then click Save As and save it. What ever name you save it as is what you will use in the specification field. It pretty much determines whether or not the text file is fixed width or delimeted by a comma or tab or semicolon and also sets features for how the date is imported and the data type of each field and the fields length.

Originally posted by alicejwz
    I am trying to import a text file into Access 2000(.adp) using the following command:
    DoCmd.TransferText [transfertype][, specificationname], tablename, filename[, hasfieldnames][, HTMLtablename][, codepage]

All the arguments are straight forward except for the second argument, specificationName. What does it referring to? Is there a file I should create first?