Unanswered: SQL Agent Energizer Bunny job

it keep running, and running, and running.........

SQL Server 2000 SP3 (8.00.780) running on a two node cluster.

About three weeks ago I created a SQL Agent job that runs every 10 minutes and inserts a row into a table. (it's recording the flucuating size of another table in an application DB). The INSERT ... SELECT statement is directly in the job step definition, ie, not an EXEC <stored_proc> statment.

Tonight, I deleted the job with SQL Enterprise Mgr. I checked, and it no longer exists in msdb..sysjobs, and the scheduled is gone from msdb..sysjobschedules. But every 10 minutes, there's another row. Clearly, SQL Agent has cached the properties of the job, and hasn't noticed that THE JOB NO LONGER EXISTS. Anyway to slap SQL Agent short of cycling the service? That would affect the production application and will take too much political BS.

Anyone else seen this? Is this a known problem?

I can live with it until the next boot, but it's annoying.

Re: SQL Agent Energizer Bunny job

Just a quick question, why would restarting sql server agent cause to much grief? You are not restarting your sqlserver process.. Just a question.

Re: SQL Agent Energizer Bunny job

In the clear light of morning I figured out what was going on. Not SQL Agent's fault - more of a short between the earphones working late at night. I went ahead and posted becase it seemed I had seen this issue once before (jobs continuing to run, not the brain lock )

Anyhow, as to restarting SQL Agent, doing so would interrupt some jobs that run continuously - for example a custom log shipping solution - and generate alrams in various places, and I didn't feel like dealing with that last night over a minor point.

just curiosity - what went wrong? I was about to post a suggestion when I saw your reply.