Unanswered: SQL and Korn Shell - Help

Hello everybody,

I am a Mainframer and trying to transition into UDB DBA functionality and playing with UDB 8.1 personal developers edition. So far I love it! In various job ads I see that SQL AND KORN SHELL scripting experience is usefull! Can somebody list good sources / books on the subject, audience being NON UNIX guys like me but with solid SQL background!

You are the creator of your own destiny!

Re: SQL and Korn Shell - Help

As you are already good at SQL, I think can just go through the SQL Reference for V8 to learn and understand the SQL Constructs that are not available on mainframe db2 ...

For shell scripting, I'd suggest that you search google for 'ksh shell scripting' which will be a good beginning ... I am dependent on 'man ksh' .... Additional thinks you need to know are nawk and sed ...
    For sed, I refer www.cornerstonemag.com/sed and for nawk it is again 'man nawk'

As far as I understand, for a DBA, what your employers will expect is only some fundamental scripting knowledge/experience ... So, if you can write simple scripts to automate a few routine jobs, you are already there ...

Good luck and have fun

Sathyaram

Originally posted by db2guru1
    Hello everybody,

I am a Mainframer and trying to transition into UDB DBA functionality and playing with UDB 8.1 personal developers edition. So far I love it! In various job ads I see that SQL AND KORN SHELL scripting experience is usefull! Can somebody list good sources / books on the subject, audience being NON UNIX guys like me but with solid SQL background!
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Re: SQL and Korn Shell - Help

Hello everybody,

I think it should be "SQL scripting" and "KORN SHELL scripting". Thus, if you know SQL, you should focus on shell scripting. One nice book with many hints and trix is:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upt3/

Thanks for your replies.

Sathyaram, from ur reply I am assuming that one needs to be familiar with all the shell flavors like KSH, NAWK & SED -- Is my assumption correct?

Which shell is the most common denominator (available in almost ALL shops)? And can I practise shell programming (say KSH) in windows environment? -- Meaning can we do shell programming in windows just for learning? Any help where I can run shell script in windows will be very helpfull for my learning!

And lelle12 thanks for your reference!

You are the creator of your own destiny!

Thanks for your replies.

Sathyaram, from ur reply I am assuming that one needs to be familiar with all the shell flavors like KSH, NAWK & SED -- Is my assumption correct?

Which shell is the most common denominator (available in almost ALL shops)? And can I practise shell programming (say KSH) in windows environment? -- Meaning can we do shell programming in windows just for learning? Any help where I can run shell script in windows will be very helpfull for my learning!

For a unix environment in windows, check out

http://www.cygwin.com/

It's been a while since I used it myself - I use linux these days - but it is as close to the real thing as it gets.

I would also recomend to have a look at perl in general, and especially the DBI module. Extremely usefull stuff.

/Lennart

I wanted to tell about Unix for windows in my earlier post, sorry ... missed ..

UWIN:
    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

and other is
    CYGWIN
    http://www.cygwin.com/

I have never used one myself, but believe both are equally popular ...

Well, about ksh, (n)awk and sed ..

ksh (korn shell) - It is the basic shell .. To compare with mainframes, I can say it is like TSO command interpreter(I am not talking about the time sharing etc it handles , but just the command interpreter) ... Just like TSO interprets your commands , ksh does ... But ksh has more features (like, string handling functions, while loops, if .. then .. else , etc)

nawk - It is a powerful text processing language, for eg, you can use it to generate a report using a file ... maybe what REXX or CLIST will do for you ...

sed - It is very similar to ISREDIT Macro ...

So, IMHO, these are not three different things, but have to go hand-in-hand when writing shell scripts ...

As Lennart suggested, perl is also very powerful and useful ... But not all shops encourage the use of perl, as far as I understand

HTH

Sathyaram

QUOTE]Originally posted by db2guru1
    Thanks for your replies.

[/QUOTE]
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

http://www.fabmall.com/Stores/misc/f...lCatalog=Books

Unix Shell Programming - Yashwant Kantekar

is a good read

Sathyaram