Unanswered: Moving dbspaces between databases

Problem description. We have run into problems with mass deletes on our IDS 7.31 DB due to the btree cleaner problem. This is preventing the normal archiving that goes on our large tables (excess of 100 m).

In order to get around this problem, I am looking at fragmenting tables on a date range and detaching fragments based on our archiving policy.

The idea is to move data (fragment) from production to archive database. Both these databases reside in the same server. And each fragment is mapped to the different dbspaces.

Question. The question is can we move a fragment/dbspace between two databases on the same server.

Environment. IDS 7.31 ( patch not sure), HP UX 11.

Any ideas or pointers or answers will be greatfully accepted.

Many thanks!

cheers

Re: Moving dbspaces between databases

Hi,
    you can only use the know tools dbexport or HPL. But thats no problem, cause a detached fragment is a new table. Attach it on the archive system and have fun.
    But: be aware of index rebuild and primary keys.
    I have implemented this solution, its running fine.

Cheers
    --
    or switch to Oracle, there you can 'transport tablespaces' ;-)

Originally posted by zero_drag
    Problem description. We have run into problems with mass deletes on our IDS 7.31 DB due to the btree cleaner problem. This is preventing the normal archiving that goes on our large tables (excess of 100 m).

In order to get around this problem, I am looking at fragmenting tables on a date range and detaching fragments based on our archiving policy.

The idea is to move data (fragment) from production to archive database. Both these databases reside in the same server. And each fragment is mapped to the different dbspaces.

Question. The question is can we move a fragment/dbspace between two databases on the same server.

Many thanks!

cheers

Thanks! Chrisha, That was very helpful.

Originally posted by chrisha
    Hi,
    you can only use the know tools dbexport or HPL. But thats no problem, cause a detached fragment is a new table. Attach it on the archive system and have fun.
    But: be aware of index rebuild and primary keys.
    I have implemented this solution, its running fine.

Cheers
    --
    or switch to Oracle, there you can 'transport tablespaces' ;-)

Originally posted by zero_drag

Many thanks!

cheers
    Hi,
    I think what you can use ALTER FRAGMENT ON TABLE xxxx init in new dbspace.
    Now, if is same server no problem.
    The fragmentation is by table and each table belongs to a data base.

Gustavo.