Unanswered: DB2 Clustered setup

Hi all,

I am new to DB2 and am asigned to do some research on DB2 in a clustered setup.

Is it possible to install DB2 8.1 in a clusetered setup with 2 W2K workstations? Can some body send some script or guidelines to help me install DB2 in a clustered setup.
    Does DB2 need a OS Clustering for DB2 to be clustered ?

Waiting for some help in this area.

Thanks and Regards,
    Pradeep

Re: DB2 Clustered setup

Pradeep ...

The term clustering is not clear .. But I assume you are talking about muliple partiontoned database (formely EEE) ...

In this case, yes , yes you can have your data partiotined over two windows machies ... This setup is not for high availability, but for splitting resources ...

In theory, You do not need any OS Clustering software for this setup to work .... In practice, many use clustering for high availability .....

Have a look at the Quick Beginnings guide for db2 at
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...bs.d2w/en_main

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Pradeep Kumar
    Hi all,

I am new to DB2 and am asigned to do some research on DB2 in a clustered setup.

Is it possible to install DB2 8.1 in a clusetered setup with 2 W2K workstations? Can some body send some script or guidelines to help me install DB2 in a clustered setup.
    Does DB2 need a OS Clustering for DB2 to be clustered ?

Waiting for some help in this area.

Thanks and Regards,
    Pradeep
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Hello Satyaram,

Thnaks for the reply. I tried installing DB2 and end up with data partitioned between 2 nodes in windows 2000.

I was looking for high availabilty testing and load balancing as one of our application which is under development with Oracle RAC needs to be test migrated to DB2 for a prototype.
    I hope for that type of installation we need an OS Cluster as Oracle needs one.

Regards,
    Pradeep

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    Pradeep ...

The term clustering is not clear .. But I assume you are talking about muliple partiontoned database (formely EEE) ...

In this case, yes , yes you can have your data partiotined over two windows machies ... This setup is not for high availability, but for splitting resources ...

In theory, You do not need any OS Clustering software for this setup to work .... In practice, many use clustering for high availability .....

Have a look at the Quick Beginnings guide for db2 at
    http://www-3.ibm.com/cgi-bin/db2www/...bs.d2w/en_main

HTH

Sathyaram

Well, DB2 clustering is bit different from RAC ... RAC is primarily for load balancing where many clients access the same set of disk ... But, db2's clustering is shared-nothing architecture , ie, each partition in your database instance has its own memory, data, processor etc (ofcourse, having two partiotions on the same phyisical node is also possible, but it has to be perceived as being two independent partiotions ) ... A client request to one of the partitions is broadcast to the other partiotions and then db2 decides how to serve the client ...

this architecture is most suitable for DSS type systems but I understand there are a number of OLTP systems running on multi-partitioned databases ..

So, if you want a load balancer, it has to be outside db2 ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Originally posted by Pradeep Kumar
    Hello Satyaram,

Thnaks for the reply. I tried installing DB2 and end up with data partitioned between 2 nodes in windows 2000.

I was looking for high availabilty testing and load balancing as one of our application which is under development with Oracle RAC needs to be test migrated to DB2 for a prototype.
    I hope for that type of installation we need an OS Cluster as Oracle needs one.

Regards,
    Pradeep
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.