Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Unable to browse the cube

When I process a cube and I click on browse data I get a message that states "Unable to browse the cube 'Sales'. Unspecified error." Is this because of the service pack? I am running Server 2000 on Windows XP Professional.

You need to install Analysis Services SP3, this is a common problem
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

I tried this and it installed a new password and now I can't connect to my server.

A new password to what? I've never had a problem with the install, did it prompt you to enter a new password somewhere?
    ---------------

When I reboot to XP there is a new user account there for the SQL Server. At startup I have to choose to which user I want to use. There is the original user and then there is a new SQL Server user.

This is the link for the OLAP fixes in SP3 for Analysis.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/...-KB&LCID=1033&

I have not heard of a service pack creating a windows user account, AS itself will create the OLAP admin group but have not see an additional windows account, I will have to check my other system as this one is Win2k and the other is XP.

I take it going in as your normal user account doesn't allow you to access the server?
    ---------------

That's right. As a normal user I can't connect to my server anymore. Before I installed the service pack I could connect to the server as a normal user.
    I don't see anything in your link that would help me.
    Last edited by exdter; 08-26-03 at 16:46.

I've installed the service pack to four machines, two Windows 2000 Servers and two Windows XP regular PC's and did not see this problem.

If you can at least get into the machine you might try this link to remove the service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314823

Still have no idea how the SP did this, might warrant an MS call. I searched their site and didn't find anything that looked like it addressed this problem.
    ---------------

If I have the pack installed, I can't connect to the server at all through the Analysis Manager. When I uninstall the service pack I can connect, but I get an error that I can't browse the cube. I tried a few times to install SP3 and the same happens. I can get into SQL Server no problem, even with the service pack. I can't get into the Analysis Manager when the service pack is installed. Now that I have uninstalled the SP3 something weird happens. When I am in Analysis Manager, I can connect to the server and process cubes, but when I try to browse the data I am prompted to insert my Microsoft Office 2000 disk as it wants to access a program on it.
    Last edited by exdter; 08-26-03 at 19:13.

Did you apply SP3 to the SQL engine as well? If not, you should. Also, that might be prompting you for the disk for the Pivot table services, you can re-install this from the SQL cd, it is called PTSLITE.exe
    ---------------

I am also getting a prompt for a file called data1.msi Another problem I have is that if I shut down my Analysis Manager, I can't connect again unless I reboot.
    Thank you very much for your help!!!
    Last edited by exdter; 08-27-03 at 16:36.

When do you get that prompt? That sounds like an Office prompt. You are having some problems with AS that I have not had experience with nor can find on MS site. If this is a production issue it might warrant a call to MS.
    ---------------

I get the prompt when I click on 'Browse Data'. A box pops up and prompts me to insert the MS Office 2000 CD. And when I try to run the PTSLITE.exe I get the message that it can't be installed because the parent product, Analysis Services, is already installed.
    Last edited by exdter; 08-27-03 at 21:45.

Maybe I am installing the service pack wrong. I have 3 .exe files. One is called sql2kasp3, sql2ksp3, and sql2desksp3. Can you give me the steps to install? Thanks.