Unanswered: Transaction Log cant remove old files

I have a server with very little disk space (8 gb) running Windows 2000. Upgrading the server is not an option. I run SQL 2000 on this server replicating to a duplicate server through an NT machine.
    In the Database Maintenance Plan, I run Complete Backup and Transaction Log Backup daily. I have set both to remove files older than 3 days. The Complete Backup does remove the files with extension .BAK without problems. The .TRN files must be removed manually to keep from running out of disk space. Any ideas why the remove files older doesn't work on the Transaction Log Backup?

If you use SQLMAINT utility you won't have to specify the extensions, just the retention period. How are you dong the backups?

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    If you use SQLMAINT utility you won't have to specify the extensions, just the retention period. How are you dong the backups?
    I am unfamiliar with SQLMAINT. I run my backups by setting up the Transaction Log Backup in the Database Maintenance Plan under the Management folder.

You can also use SQLMAINT from command line against maintenance plans: SQLMAINT -PlanName <your_plan_name>